Connection two computers

Old August 15th 03, 06:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Bache

Default Connection two computers

Help please on connecting two computers.

I'm on broadband and need to connect my computer ('host') to a computer in
the next room ('slave'). I know I can network them, but, should both
computers be in use, does it slow down the doownload speed by much?

Or is it best to buy another modem etc for the second computer and use them
individually (i.e.one is switched off when the other is in use). Any help
would be appreciated.

Or anyone who has had experience of doing this and found a better way,
please advise.

Thank you,

Bob

Old August 15th 03, 06:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin²

You can NOT have two ADSL modems (switched on) on one line at the same time.
You can simply connect two computers by Ethernet Cat5 wire, each will need
NIC card. Quite cheap.
The you have to get Internet Connection Sharing set up between them, it's in
Win 98ME and above,
sort of works after M/Soft fashion (i.e. pain in the neck to set up). The
draw back is the host computer has to be switched on for the slave to be
able to connect to internet.

The alternative is to get ADSL modem / router combo. Each computer connect
via NIC and cable but can operate independently. Or you could try Zoom X4
ADSL modem which have one ethernet and one USB connection working
simultaneously. (Netgear DM602 can't do it simultaneously and is c**p!)

Or you can have ADSL modem / router / wireless combo, Draytek Vigor 2600We
is the one to get,
then you need wireless adaptor for one or both computers. Not cheap £180
ish.

In any event your computers will share the ADSL speed, if both download
large files, each will get less the half the available speed. But won't
notice any speed problem browsing and sending emails.
Regards,
Martin

Old August 15th 03, 06:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
[email protected] writeme.com

On Fri, 15 Aug 2003 17:32:42 +0100, guv wrote:

Best bet is a cheap switch box, some Cat5 cable and 2 network cards.
Though if cables are an issue - you could go the wireless route!

For just two PC's you only need a twisted Cat5 cable and 2 network
cards.

Andrew.
Old August 15th 03, 08:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

For just two PC's you only need a twisted Cat5 cable and 2 network
cards.

To clarify - that`s a "crossover" cable.

To access the internet from the 2nd machine, you could either use a NAT
software solution (Winroute for instance), built in connection sharing
depending on the version of windows (if you`re on windows), or download
the free proxy program from www.analogx.com

If you`re not on windows, linux will usually have the facility to share
the connection regardless - ISTR I just had one box to tick under
Mandrake, but ICBW !

or you are likely to be spam filtered :-}
Old August 16th 03, 11:49 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kevin bailey

if set up properly using a decent router you can have 5/6 PC's connected
simultaneously and they will carry out normal browsing and email functions
without any speed issues.

kev bailey

Old August 17th 03, 12:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Anthony Edwards

On Sun, 17 Aug 2003 11:41:55 +0100, Colin Wilson
wrote:

Buy a router, or get a 2nd network card in the primary machine, and fit
one to the second machine. You can use a proxy program on the primary
machine to handle requests from the second machine - www.analogx.com do a
free one that works well.

http://www.google.com/groups?q=+%22a...in.net-abuse.*
&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&selm=vd68gh7k618188%40corp.supernews.com&rnum= 1

(or http://tinyurl.com/k9mn)

--
Anthony Edwards
easynet Ltd - Manchester

Old August 17th 03, 01:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Anthony Edwards

On Sun, 17 Aug 2003 10:54:55 -0000, Anthony Edwards
wrote:

http://www.google.com/groups?q=+%22a...in.net-abuse.*
&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&selm=vd68gh7k618188%40corp.supernews.com&rnum= 1

(or http://tinyurl.com/k9mn)

And:

http://spews.org/html/S2681.html

--
Anthony Edwards
easynet Ltd - Manchester

Old August 17th 03, 01:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

Buy a router, or get a 2nd network card in the primary machine, and fit
one to the second machine. You can use a proxy program on the primary
machine to handle requests from the second machine - www.analogx.com do a
free one that works well.

(or http://tinyurl.com/k9mn)

I didn`t have any problems that I know of when I used to use it, prior to
moving on to winroute.

If this guy could put forward a rational argument rather than eschew
vitriole of the sort normally associated with a Mac vs Windoze flaming
session, perhaps I would be more inclined to take the time and
understand.

or you are likely to be spam filtered :-}
Old August 21st 03, 08:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Cherry

"amstereofan" wrote in message
What about using 2 bluetooth dongles for a wireless network that way you

can
be online with both pc's at the same time or am I wrong about this ??

yes but the bandwidth on bluetooth is tiny