AOL broadband has 3 IPs???

Old August 16th 03, 06:09 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve Leyland

Default AOL broadband has 3 IPs???

I'm no expert on this stuff, but how on earth can an AOL broadband user have
3 IP addresses?
to cut a long story short, a friend (despite my advice) decided to get ADSL
from AOL.
an attempt to hook up on webcams via netmeeting which used to work fine when
she was on dialup from AOL, resulted in multiple IPs, only one of which
would connect but with no webcam images streaming either way.
I was able to see my own webcam image, as was she.
Both of our firewalls were turned off too.
We also tried CUseeme with a similar result after a message saying "the user
you are trying to connect to has 3 IP addresses, please choose one".

any ideas?

--
Steve Leyland
mhm32x16 Smeeter#35

=^MEOW MEOW ARMY^=

It doesn't matter what temperature the room is; it's always
room-temperature.

"Warning to all:
Steve Leyland is a trolling **** of the highest order. Killfile the muppet
now and move on.
Even the briefest of searches on his past UseNet posts will reveal the
truth. You have been warned.
*plonk*"

******* Bear, uk.rec.motorcycles
"This sig is an abomination of all that is good and right about usenet.
Do the entire world a favor and REMOVE YOURSELF FROM USENET ALTOGETHER,
DUMBASS."

miguel, soc.singles
"I went to the Garden of Love,
And saw what I never had seen;
A Chapel was built in the midst,
Where I used to play on the green.

And the gates of this Chapel were shut
And "Thou shalt not," writ over the door;
So I turned to the Garden of Love
That so many sweet flowers bore.

And I saw it was filled with graves,
And tombstones where flowers should be;
And priests in black gowns were walking their rounds,
And binding with briars my joys and desires."

William Blake.
"Until the philosophy which holds one race superior and another inferior is
finally and permanently discredited and abandoned;
until there is no longer any first-class and second-class citizens of any
nation;
until the color of a man's skin is of no more significance than the color of
his eyes;
until the basic human rights are equally guaranteed to all, without regard
to race
-- until that day, the dreams of lasting peace and world citizenship and the
rule of international morality will remain but a fleeting illusion, to be
pursued but never attained."

Haile Sellassie.
"First they came for the Communists, and I didn't speak up, because I wasn't
Communist. Then they came for the Jews, and I didn't speak up, because I
wasn't
a Jew. Then they came for the Catholics, and I didn't speak up, because I
was a
Protestant. Then they came for me, and by that time there was no one left to
speak up for me."

Rev. Martin Niemoller, 1945
"When the Earth has been ravaged and the animals are dying, a tribe of
people from all races, creeds and colours shall put their faith in deeds,
not words, and make the land green again.
They shall be known as Warriors of the Rainbow, protectors of the
environment."

Native American prophecy

|\ _.-'~~""'~`'~)
/, ~-,__,,,.'~ ,-;;--''
|,4) ./ ' ; ;/'
'-~~;'@ ( ; ;
_.--'' _.-_..' .;.'
(,_..----''' (,..--''

Meow

Old August 18th 03, 03:23 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew Scott

Steve Leyland wrote in
message ...
The biggst amount of **** Usenet has even seen, LOL!

Im sorry, but with a signature the length of yours, I will not be suprised
if you get any replys from anyone. Have you read up on NG etiquette?

---

Old August 18th 03, 06:54 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve Leyland

Andrew Scott wrote:
: Steve Leyland wrote in
: message ...
: The biggst amount of **** Usenet has even seen, LOL!

it was a valid on-topic question. thanks a bunch for your help :-/
:
: Im sorry, but with a signature the length of yours, I will not be suprised
: if you get any replys from anyone.

why? is everyone here as anal as you?

: Have you read up on NG etiquette?

yes.
have you?
if so, why are you including an AVG sig with a non-compliant sig-delimeter
in your post?
:
:
:
: ---

Steve Leyland
mhm32x16 Smeeter#35
flower: three 6 four 9 five 8 eight 9
Alcatroll Labs Inc (bongwater maintenance dept)
http://www.insurgent.org/~alcatroll/

=^MEOW MEOW ARMY^=

Work is victory. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

[...]

wasn't a Communist. Then they came for the Jews, and I didn't speak up,
because I wasn't a Jew. Then they came for the Catholics, and I didn't
speak up, because I was a Protestant. Then they came for me, and by that
time there was no one left to speak up for me."

Rev. Martin Niemoller, 1945
"When the Earth has been ravaged and the animals are dying, a tribe of
people from all races, creeds and colours shall put their faith in deeds,
not words, and make the land green again. They shall be known as Warriors
of the Rainbow, protectors of the environment."

Native American prophecy

|\ _.-'~~""'~`'~)
/, ~-,__,,,.'~ ,-;;--''
|,4) ./ ' ; ;/'
'-~~;'@ ( ; ;
_.--'' _.-_..' .;.'
(,_..----''' (,..--''

Meow

Old August 18th 03, 11:19 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve Leyland

chris wrote:
: On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 05:54:59 +0100 and in article bhpm74$kk3$0
: @pita.alt.net, Steve Leyland said...
::: Im sorry, but with a signature the length of yours, I will not be
::: suprised if you get any replys from anyone.
::
:: why? is everyone here as anal as you?
:
: When it comes to your stupidly excessive sig, *yes*!

I did not come here to discuss .sig etiquette, I have a valid query about
broadband.
:
::: Have you read up on NG etiquette?
::
:: yes.
:: have you?
:
: ..well he hasn't, but I have, and I am asking you to please trim that
: sign when posting here.

can you give me one good reason why I should?
despite my preferred usage of OE as a text group newsreader (enhanced with
oe-quote fix), my admittedly large .sig *has* a valid sigsep.

: Your obviously have good points to make, but
: that sig is just silly ;-)

well, Duh! g

--
Steve Leyland
mhm32x16 Smeeter#35
flower: three 6 four 9 five 8 eight 9
Alcatroll Labs Inc (bongwater maintenance dept)
http://www.insurgent.org/~alcatroll/

=^MEOW MEOW ARMY^=

A kiss may ruin a human life. - Oscar Wilde

'-~~;'@ ( ; ;
_.--'' _.-_..' .;.'
(,_..----''' (,..--''

Meow

Old August 18th 03, 02:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Lambert

Steve Leyland wrote:

can you give me one good reason why I should?

Not everyone has high speed internet access. For some people the size of an
article actually makes a difference in download time. Having a signature
that is larger than the content of your post is discourteous to those
people.

Futher, your article is just one in a vast number posted to usenet every
day. If the length of all the articles was doubled by adding a long
signature a significantly higher strain will be placed on news servers[1].

So, that is two good reasons - twice as many as you asked for

[1] Yes, I know that binary postings outweigh text postings by many times
but that is why many newsservers do not carry binary groups.

--
Chris Lambert (http://web.trout-fish.org.uk/)
Who would Jesus bomb?