Newbie Questions

Old August 16th 03, 09:25 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
[email protected] writeme.com

Default Newbie Questions

On Sat, 16 Aug 2003 09:17:30 +0100, Secret Squirrel
nobody[NoSpam].clara.com wrote:

I keep seeing postings mentioning Ethernet and NIC being used with an ADSL router.
As I am planning on getting broadband in the near future, and also planning on using a combined ADSL
modem/router with an Ethernet card on a single PC, do I also need NIC?

An "Ethernet card" is a NIC - Network Interface Card.

I have also seen mention of "Internet Connection Sharing" for using more than on computer, with ICS
being in Win98ME and above).
Currently I only have a single PC (Windows98 original) but would like to allow for future expansion,
obviously. So, where does that leave me with the ICS issue?

If you buy an ADSL Modem/Router then that will do the routing and you
don't need ICS.

www.adslguide.org.uk has some reviews of routers.

Andrew.