Newbie Questions

Old August 16th 03, 11:42 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roderick Stewart

Default Newbie Questions

In article , Secret Squirrel wrote:
I have also seen mention of "Internet Connection Sharing" for using more than on computer, with ICS
being in Win98ME and above).
Currently I only have a single PC (Windows98 original) but would like to allow for future expansion,
obviously. So, where does that leave me with the ICS issue?

ICS will work, but is a messy way of doing it, and requires that the computer that has the internet
connection is switched on whenever any of the other ones require to use it. For future expansion , the
what you will need is an ADSL/ethernet modem, a router, an ethernet hub (or switched hub), and an
ethernet card (NIC) in each computer. Also a firewall, either hardware between the modem and the
computers, or software in each computer. You can buy this stuff as separate boxes or all in one.

Rod.

Old August 16th 03, 12:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Secret Squirrel

Cheers for the info.

I believe that the Draytek Vigor 2600 is such a device?

Old August 16th 03, 12:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roderick Stewart

In article , Secret Squirrel
wrote:
You can buy this stuff as separate boxes or all in one.

I believe that the Draytek Vigor 2600 is such a device?

It is exactly such a device. There are others of course, but this one
appealed to me because it has very comprehensive setup pages accessible via a
web browser. Some of the others are command-driven via telnet, which would be
a little more awkward. It probably has more bells and whistles than I'll ever
need (like the USR Courier dial-up modem I've been using), but part of my
purpose in wanting to get onto broadband is to learn about it. Also, it's a
neat little box and it's blue.

They also do a wireless ethernet version, but I've taken the decision that
this is the best place to separate functions between boxes, because-

1. Best positioning for radio reception won't necessarily coincide with best
positioning for connecting to the cabled computers in the network.

2. The Draytek one (so far) is only 802.11b, the "slow" wireless system.

3. I'm not sure I even want wireless ethernet yet. All my computers are
already cabled, and the laptop would still need a cable anyway to power it
and charge its battery.

Rod.