D-link DSL-300G+ ADSL modem and Belkin F5D72304 wireless router

Old August 16th 03, 12:12 PM posted to alt.internet.providers.uk.aaisp,uk.telecom.broadband
D.M. Procida

Default D-link DSL-300G+ ADSL modem and Belkin F5D72304 wireless router

D.M. Procida wrote:

These two devices appear to be incompatible with each other.

After some more Usenet trawling I have discovered that indeed they are.
There's an article at:

http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop...etID=67&TextID
=248

which says:

The D-Link DSL-300G+ is a true ADSL modem. Once the modem is connected
to the Internet it passes the public IP address via DHCP Spoofing across
to the host device (i.e. computer/router etc). Due to the way the modem
works not all product are compatible, therefore we have created this
'advisory' guide to assist you in choosing if the product is right for
you.

The D-Link DSL-300G+ works with the following makes/models

Computers known to work
Works with all Operating Systems including Windows, Linux, Unix, MacOS

Cable/DSL Routers known to work
All D-Link Cable/DSL Routers
Netgear WGR614 54Mbps Wireless Cable/DSL Router
Buffalo WBR-G54 54Mbps Wireless Cable/DSL Router
Belkin F5D5230u4 4-Port Cable/DSL Router - Requires latest Firmware

Known Compatibility problems
Belkin F5D7130 54Mbps Wireless Cable/DSL Router - Working on a Fix

So, what is it about the devices that don't work with it which causes
them to fall foul of it? Why should they not like the DHCP spooofing?

Presumably, if I could get the modem to do DHCP bridging I might be able
to get the router to log on via PPTP. Hmm.

Daniele
--
Apple Juice Ltd
Chapter Arts Centre
Old August 22nd 03, 06:29 PM posted to alt.internet.providers.uk.aaisp,uk.telecom.broadband
D.M. Procida

D.M. Procida wrote:

The D-Link DSL-300G+ works with the following makes/models

Known Compatibility problems
Belkin F5D7130 54Mbps Wireless Cable/DSL Router - Working on a Fix

You can add the Apple Airport Extreme basestation to that list. The
original Aiport basestation's OK though.

Presumably, if I could get the modem to do DHCP bridging I might be able
to get the router to log on via PPTP. Hmm.

No such luck.

Daniele