ADSL migration query

Old August 16th 03, 08:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham in Melton

Default ADSL migration query

One minor comment - the Frog is theirs isn't it ?

Get a better one if it is .

On 16/8/03 6:35 pm, in article , "Philip
SC" wrote:

I'm seriously considering dumping BT Openworld and taking my frog elsewhere.
Top of the list are PlusNet and Pipex, both of whom seem to offer good
connections, low cost and decent webspace.

Before I call BTO for my CBUK number, does anyone have any good/bad
experience of migrating their ADSL connections to either of these providers?

Many thanks.

Old August 16th 03, 09:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Monty

On Sat, 16 Aug 2003 20:50:13 +0100, Graham in Melton
wrote:

One minor comment - the Frog is theirs isn't it ?

I have been begging BT to come and collect THEIR blasted toad
for over two years but they don't to know and I am sick of the damn
thing sitting in my cupboard .
Can I charge them storage fees ? .
Monty .
Old August 16th 03, 10:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Monty

On Sat, 16 Aug 2003 22:19:12 +0100, Graham in Melton
wrote:

No and as its you definitely no.

In that case it goes in the bin .
Monty .
Old August 17th 03, 12:14 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham in Melton

A good move. You should have written to them inviting them to pick it up,
otherwise you'd throw it away. Then you can without fear. If they don't pick
it up, you cannot however claim it as your own.

Old August 17th 03, 03:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham in Melton

On 17/8/03 2:24 pm, in article ,
"markp" wrote:

"Graham in Melton" wrote in message
A good move. You should have written to them inviting them to pick it up,
otherwise you'd throw it away. Then you can without fear. If they don't

pick
it up, you cannot however claim it as your own.

Not so, you can claim it after 3 months:
http://www.fairtrading.act.gov.au/OF...solicited.html

These goods aren't "unsolicited goods" as outlined in the link. They are
goods which you asked for as part of a service and the owner has failed to
collect them.

Not sure what then happens, but the link isn't right imo - it only applies
to items which remain at your address, which you never required or asked
for.

Old August 17th 03, 04:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham in Melton

On 17/8/03 4:34 pm, in article ,
"markp" wrote:

"Philip SC" wrote in message
A good move. You should have written to them inviting them to pick it

up,
otherwise you'd throw it away. Then you can without fear. If they

don't
pick
it up, you cannot however claim it as your own.

Not so, you can claim it after 3 months:
http://www.fairtrading.act.gov.au/OF...solicited.html

I have also heard it said you can dispose of the goods on common ground

then
pick them up as found and claim ownership, but I do not know if this is
correct.

Not so, Mark. This law relates to Australia.

Oops! Here's a UK one:

http://www.consumereducation.org.uk/...lrights/10.htm

If you've cancelled the contract in writing, and as allowed by contract,
then these goods are now essentially unsolicited as there is no contract in
force - they are on your premises and don't belong to you. You can either
wait for six months, or give the supplier notice in writing that they should
be collected within 30 days. If they are not collected within this time they
become your property, as allowed under the Unsolicited Goods and Services
Act 1971 (ammended).

If the company argues the toss about whether you really cancelled the
contract then this becomes a civil argument about contracts, but that's
another matter.

Mark.
IANAL

Still not convinced.

The sentence starts ;"If you receive unsolicited goods you can.....". The
goods in question are not unsolicited, so the rest is irrelevant.

Any other thoughts ?

Old August 17th 03, 04:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham in Melton

On 17/8/03 4:40 pm, in article ,
"markp" wrote:

But if you've cancelled the contract then there is then no contract in
force,

Not true - most contracts have a "Survival Clause" within them which
extends ownership and copyright, IPR, Data Protection far longer - normally
in tears beyond the end of the Rental Agreement for example. The Clause
works both ways - for example, when you cancel the agreement, the supplier
can't sell your details to an information house.

and after a resonable time has elapsed for the supplier to collect
then it would be the same as if you had not ordered them.

I doubt it its that simple. You have ordered it and the fact isn't altered
by the conclusion of the initial agreement.

By cancelling the
contract you have also indicated that you do not want the goods, and
therefore they are not required.

I'd be staggered if that was not covered by
Consumer Law.

I agree, but the link you provided does not cover this situation. There is
almost certainly case law covering it but I don't have the faintest where to
look.

Old August 17th 03, 04:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
markp

"Graham in Melton" wrote in message

On 17/8/03 4:34 pm, in article

,
"markp" wrote:

"Philip SC" wrote in message
[...]

If you have cancelled the contract and given them a reasonable time to
collect, they would then be unsolicited goods (technically the contract has
terminated, after the supplier has been given reasonable time and
opportunity to collect and failed to do so the goods as far as I can see can
be treated as if they had been sent back to the supplier and immediately
resent to you again, unsolicited). Consumer law is there to protect
consumers, these goods, which are on your premises, don't belong to you. So
what happens then? If after giving the supplier a reasonable time to collect
they still remain on your premises you can dispose of them so you don't
incur unreasonable costs of storage. Who becomes the new owner then? Why
can't you give them to your mate, who promptly gives them back to you? How
about dumping them on common ground then picking it up again and claiming
they're yours? Are you going to give it to the council at the local dump? It
makes no sense whatsoever not to allow these to be treated as unsolicited
goods in law!

Mark.
IANAL

Old August 17th 03, 08:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roderick Stewart

In article , Graham in Melton wrote:
Not true - most contracts have a "Survival Clause" within them which
extends ownership and copyright, IPR, Data Protection far longer - normally
in tears beyond the end of the Rental Agreement for example.

It probably would end that way. :-)

Rod.