HH to ADSL query

Old August 16th 03, 09:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
andrew dunlop

Default HH to ADSL query

Come October my local exchange is due to be ADSL enabled, so I have ordered
a conversion from Home Highway to ADSL, however my setup is a little
unconventional and I am looking for some advice.

Our BT master socket is downstairs in the hallway, the HH box is in the back
bedroom and a length of Cat 5e connects one of the digital ports to a ISDN
card in my server in another room (cat 5 runs under the floor). All other
computers connect to the Internet via a wireless connection (ad hoc
configuration) on the server.

Will the HH box ports work after the conversion is completed? I am expecting
that I have to plug my ADSL USB modem into a analogue port (rj11) not a
digital port (rj45), if so I need to find a way of connecting the HH box and
the server via the existing cat 5, is an rj 11 to rj45 and vice versa
adaptor available?

Any comments welcomed.

Andy.

Old August 16th 03, 10:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham in Melton

On 16/8/03 9:54 pm, in article ,
"andrew dunlop" wrote:

Come October my local exchange is due to be ADSL enabled, so I have ordered
a conversion from Home Highway to ADSL, however my setup is a little
unconventional and I am looking for some advice.

Our BT master socket is downstairs in the hallway, the HH box is in the back
bedroom and a length of Cat 5e connects one of the digital ports to a ISDN
card in my server in another room (cat 5 runs under the floor). All other
computers connect to the Internet via a wireless connection (ad hoc
configuration) on the server.

Will the HH box ports work after the conversion is completed?

There will be no HH box left behind, just a conventional phone socket.

I am expecting
that I have to plug my ADSL USB modem into a analogue port (rj11) not a
digital port (rj45),

Sort of ..... The ADSL modem has to connect to a BT socket, via a micro
filter, which as it happens has a RJ45 type connector.

if so I need to find a way of connecting the HH box and
the server via the existing cat 5, is an rj 11 to rj45 and vice versa
adaptor available?

You need a router or a gateway PC. You can plug as many ADSL modems into the
line as you want but only one can be active at a time.

By the sound of it, your server PC should have the ADSL modem connected and
you need a good, conventional telephone extension lead to connect the
server to the telephone socket.

Any comments welcomed.

Andy.

Old August 17th 03, 01:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
andrew dunlop

Presumably though BT will not call round to take away my Home Highway box,
so if I connect the ADSL front to the Master socket downstairs will the HH
box analogue port be usable as an extentsion or place to plug in my PC?

Old August 17th 03, 02:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham in Melton

On 17/8/03 1:56 pm, in article ,
"andrew dunlop" wrote:

Presumably though BT will not call round to take away my Home Highway box,
so if I connect the ADSL front to the Master socket downstairs will the HH
box analogue port be usable as an extentsion or place to plug in my PC?

I repeat my previous statement - there will be no box left behind, just a
master socket.

BT will visit the house and remove the HH box completely, check the line
length/performance, and activate the DSL service.

If the line length test fails, the HH box is put back in place and they
return to the exchange and cut back the line to a HH line card.

Old August 17th 03, 03:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Sun, 17 Aug 2003 12:56:20 GMT, "andrew dunlop"
wrote:

Presumably though BT will not call round to take away my Home Highway box,
so if I connect the ADSL front to the Master socket downstairs will the HH
box analogue port be usable as an extentsion or place to plug in my PC?

invalid presumption error - it is removed.

Phil
Old August 17th 03, 04:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark&Lisa

Phil Thompson wrote:
On Sat, 16 Aug 2003 22:24:37 +0100, Graham in Melton
wrote:

The ADSL modem has to connect to a BT socket, via a micro
filter,

a popular misconception, the ADSL modem is about the only thing *not*
to require a microfilter on an ADSL enabled phone line.

Phil

but it requires the socket on the microfilter or some other adapter

Old August 17th 03, 05:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
andrew dunlop

"andrew dunlop" wrote:

Presumably though BT will not call round to take away my Home Highway

box,
so if I connect the ADSL front to the Master socket downstairs will the

HH
box analogue port be usable as an extentsion or place to plug in my PC?

I repeat my previous statement - there will be no box left behind, just a
master socket.

BT will visit the house and remove the HH box completely, check the line
length/performance, and activate the DSL service.

If the line length test fails, the HH box is put back in place and they
return to the exchange and cut back the line to a HH line card.

Apologies, I thought that as I was ordering a wires only service that I
wouldn't see a real engineer. Looks like I might ask them to provide a new
extentsion upstairs when they remove the box, anyone know roughly what BT
charge for this service?

Thanks Graham

Old August 17th 03, 07:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Sun, 17 Aug 2003 16:40:12 UTC, "andrew dunlop"
wrote:

Apologies, I thought that as I was ordering a wires only service that I
wouldn't see a real engineer. Looks like I might ask them to provide a new
extentsion upstairs when they remove the box, anyone know roughly what BT
charge for this service?

If you have the common arrangement of a linebox downstairs and the HH
box upstairs, there'll be a multiway cable from the linebox to the HH
box. The engineer is unlikely to remove it. You'll be left with a
linebox downstairs and a piece of cable - ask him to remove it carefully
and not cut it off.

When he's gone, use four of the wires in there to connect to the back of
the linebox 'customer removable cover' and connect the other end of them
to a normal extension socket upstairs. Job done.
--
Bob Eager
rde at tavi.co.uk
PC Server 325*4; PS/2s 9585, 8595, 9595*2, 8580*3,
P70, PC/AT..

Old August 17th 03, 09:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kráftéé

Graham in Melton wrote:
On 17/8/03 7:59 pm, in article
, "Bob Eager"

wrote:

Apologies, I thought that as I was ordering a wires only service
that I wouldn't see a real engineer. Looks like I might ask them

provide a new extentsion upstairs when they remove the box, anyone
know roughly what BT charge for this service?

If you have the common arrangement of a linebox downstairs and the

HH
box upstairs, there'll be a multiway cable from the linebox to the

HH
box. The engineer is unlikely to remove it. You'll be left with a
linebox downstairs and a piece of cable - ask him to remove it
carefully and not cut it off.

When he's gone, use four of the wires in there to connect to the
back of the linebox 'customer removable cover' and connect the

other
end of them to a normal extension socket upstairs. Job done.

When the BT man arrives, ask him if he's had a good day and offer

him
a cup of tea and choccy biccy. Then play dumb about cabling etc, be
nice to him and ask him to do the cable termination upstairs. If

he's
the sort that did my place, a biccy makes all the difference !

Actually if it's a good day (yes I do get a few) it doesn't even take
a biscuit (but don't tell my lev1 that, ok, as he'd make me hold out
for the full cuppa tea & 3 biccies)

--
B-)
Life is pain.....