Help from NTL router users

Old August 16th 03, 10:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stig Bronson

Default Help from NTL router users

Finally gotten round to the task of setting my buddies NTL up on a router
but unable to get it to work.

Here is the deal -
Modem is a Terajet 210 - (currently running usb with a silly app called
broadjump)
Router is LINKSYS BEFSR41
OS is win 98se
(None of these factors are choice.)

Basic Questions first - do I need this broadjump software to get the
connection to work via the router?
I note it has a setup option (usb/ethernet) - (incidentally trying this with
ethernet selected got no connection and I
had to disable the NIC in the machine to get it to re-install and work with
usb again)
I would assume that I did not need this as surely it would need to execute
on all machines on the network to get a connection
(This can't be so methinks)

Anyone tell me or point me to information on getting this router to
communicate with NTL (basic settings to fire into this router in other
words)

I take it sharing an NTL broadband connection is feasible in this manner and
other folk out there are doing it ok?

Also - not entirely related but has anyone had a problem with NTL's news
server (is it gone?) my buddy informs me he's been getting error 119 for
around a month now. I imagine they may have altered something and he's
unaware of it.~

Would appreciate all comments on getting this setup to work - all input is
useful.

TIA

Old August 16th 03, 10:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bhoona

Hi,

Never install broadjump. It sucks!!! And it is not needed at all.

Yes the router will work through a ntl connection. The router needs to go
through registration http://autoreg.autoregister.net first.

If you want a good cable modem site goto http://www.chetnet.co.uk plenty ntl
staff there to help.

The newsgroups are up and working.

Cheers

Bhoona

Old August 16th 03, 10:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bhoona

Actually..... also ditch the USB crap too.

Ehternet is a better option. Goto the site I mentioned for the best info.

I would help more, but I work for ntl business. Different modems (Cisco /
Samsung)

Cheers Again

Bhoona

Old August 16th 03, 10:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nozza

Check out the MAC address of the PC which normally connects to the NTL
modem.

Duplicate this in the Linksys router, so that the NTL network thinks
it is still talking directly to the PC.

Leave all the router settings at standard.

Make the sure the LAN PCs use DHCP.

And that's it. Hopefully.

HTH

Noz
Old August 16th 03, 10:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stig Bronson

Thanks for your fast input, I appreciate it.

However - to get the browser to look at the autoregister webpage it needs to
connect, and I'm lacking the details to set this up in the first instance.

for NTL does the router need to be set to
1) DYNAMIC IP ADDRESS
2) STATIC IP ADDRESS
3) PPPoE
Does NTL vary in at all in protocol/setup or is it blanket accross the uk?

As for the news server - what is the current host (eg
news.ntl.wishidwrittenitdown.net).

I felt the broadjump was a waste of time (great for my buddy as he's not got
a clue).

These may seem rudementary questions (they are) but im sure many good people
here know exactly what is required. Will now deeply check out the site you
recommended....

Old August 17th 03, 12:03 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark McIntyre

On Sat, 16 Aug 2003 22:00:51 +0100, "Stig Bronson"
wrote:

Finally gotten round to the task of setting my buddies NTL up on a router
but unable to get it to work.

Proceed as follows:

1) I assume he has NTL working at present, ie hes already registered.
2) turn off everything
3) turn on the modem. Wait around 30 secs.
4) connect the ETHERNET port of the modem to the router.
5) Turn on the router, wait another 30 secs
6) connect the PC to the router, wait another 30 secs.
7) turn on the Pc, make sure its network card is set to DHCP.
8) it will now work

You do not need broadjump, and should avoid USB like the plague.

Also - not entirely related but has anyone had a problem with NTL's news
server (is it gone?) my buddy informs me he's been getting error 119 for
around a month now. I imagine they may have altered something and he's
unaware of it.~

for text only, use text.news.ntlworld.com
for binaries, use another news service of your choice.
Old August 17th 03, 12:04 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark McIntyre

On Sat, 16 Aug 2003 22:28:54 +0100, Nozza
wrote:

Check out the MAC address of the PC which normally connects to the NTL
modem.

Duplicate this in the Linksys router, so that the NTL network thinks
it is still talking directly to the PC.

you don't need to do this - in most areas (possibly not some ex-C&W)
NTL accept up to around 3 different macs on any cable.

Old August 17th 03, 08:49 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phosgene

wrote:

Finally gotten round to the task of setting my buddies NTL up on a router
but unable to get it to work.

Proceed as follows:

1) I assume he has NTL working at present, ie hes already registered.
2) turn off everything
3) turn on the modem. Wait around 30 secs.
4) connect the ETHERNET port of the modem to the router.
5) Turn on the router, wait another 30 secs
6) connect the PC to the router, wait another 30 secs.
7) turn on the Pc, make sure its network card is set to DHCP.
8) it will now work

The only thing I would add is that if it doesn't seem to work now with
CM-Router-PC you could try taking it out of the loop and just doing
CM-PC. Once you have this working then all I had to do was shove the
CM into the WAN of the router and connect my machines to the LAN ports.
You should be able to get to and see
the CM, if not then you will need to have a butchers at either / both
of these sites: -
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/
http://www.chetnet.co.uk/portal/

You do not need broadjump, and should avoid USB like the plague.

Also - not entirely related but has anyone had a problem with NTL's news
server (is it gone?) my buddy informs me he's been getting error 119 for
around a month now. I imagine they may have altered something and he's
unaware of it.~

for text only, use text.news.ntlworld.com
for binaries, use another news service of your choice.

For a more comprehensive list this was posted in one of the ntl.* groups
the other day: -

news.ntlworld.com 194.168.222.15
news.ntlworld.com 194.168.222.19
text.news.ntlworld.com 194.168.222.40
text.news.ntlworld.com 194.168.222.41
news.ntlworld.com 194.168.222.62
news.ntlworld.com 194.168.222.63
news.ntlworld.com 194.168.222.64
news.ntlworld.com 194.168.222.8
news.ntlworld.com 194.168.222.9
news.ntlworld.com 194.168.4.15
news.ntlworld.com 194.168.4.92
news.ntlworld.com 194.168.4.93
news.cable.ntlworld.com 62.252.192.4
news.ntlworld.com 62.253.162.102
news.ntlworld.com 62.253.162.103
news.ntlworld.com 62.253.162.104
news.ntlworld.com 62.253.162.105
news.ntlworld.com 62.253.162.106
news.ntlworld.com 62.253.162.107
news.ntlworld.com 62.253.162.108
news.ntlworld.com 62.253.162.109
text.news.ntlworld.com 62.253.162.114
text.news.ntlworld.com 62.253.162.115
news.cable.ntlworld.com 80.1.224.4
news.cable.ntlworld.com 80.1.224.5

If you use the name you will get to (hopefully) the least congested IP
address. Given that the News servers are a bit like whores drawers (up
and down) I use something called NewsPlex and feed it all the IP
addresses and it chops and changes which one I get the posts from
depending on which one it can connect to. Currently got 5 servers with
errors and 20 without.

HTH
Phos.

Old August 17th 03, 04:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phosgene

Stig Bronson wrote:
"Phosgene" wrote in message

Mark McIntyre wrote:
CM-Router-PC you could try taking it out of the loop and just doing
CM-PC.

Stupid question here - if I do CM-PC, will the RJ45 need to be straight or
x-over?

Thanks for newslist - printed and awaiting my visit later today :-)

A 'normal' Cat5 cable should do. But one thing is that either of your
cables might be broke so if it doesn't work first time then swap it and
buy a new one. They provided me with a straight CAT5 cable and that
just works fine. Your router should also be able to deal with 'normal'
cables in all of the connections. Most router / hubs etc. either figure
out which way round the cable is, or are straight. The only confusion
is when you get patch panels or otherwise daisy-chain components.