Anyone gone from 2 lines to one, changed numbers - how?

Old August 17th 03, 10:18 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John Edgar

Default Anyone gone from 2 lines to one, changed numbers - how?

On Sun, 17 Aug 2003 09:51:16 +0100, Malcolm Reeves
wrote:

Hi,

I have 2 lines, one voice, one modem. Exchange has a date for ADSL I
will be going down to one line + ADSL. I want to keep my voice
number, of course. But I may want to use my modem line since it is
nearest the PC (assuming both lines are equally as good). So, anyone
else been in this situation?

How do I tell which line is the best, and by how much (modem line is
easier after all). I have tried 17070 but that doesn't tell me the
distance (perhaps exchange has to be enabled first). Next, assuming
that it is the modem line I use how do I swap numbers, and if I
pre-order ADSL do I order on the number I want or the line I want? Or
should I just wait?

I'm sure I can't be the only one in this situation, although perhaps
it is unusual to have 2 lines coming in at different places.

BTW I asked BT who replied telling the benefits of ADSL but not
answering my questions!

Interesting as I am in exactly the same quandary. I spoke to BT who
said that you can merely phone them and they will swap the lines at
the exchange. There is no need for an engineer visit. I registered for
ADSL on the number I want, not the line, but I don't know whether that
is right. I assume it is.
In limine sapientiae