Anyone gone from 2 lines to one, changed numbers - how?

Old August 17th 03, 11:48 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
markp

Default Anyone gone from 2 lines to one, changed numbers - how?

"Malcolm Reeves" wrote in message
news
Hi,

I have 2 lines, one voice, one modem. Exchange has a date for ADSL I
will be going down to one line + ADSL. I want to keep my voice
number, of course. But I may want to use my modem line since it is
nearest the PC (assuming both lines are equally as good). So, anyone
else been in this situation?

Yes, exactly that - I had two lines, one was a 'business' line that
connected to my PCs modem and the fax machine, and the other a 'private'
line for voice.

How do I tell which line is the best, and by how much (modem line is
easier after all). I have tried 17070 but that doesn't tell me the
distance (perhaps exchange has to be enabled first). Next, assuming
that it is the modem line I use how do I swap numbers, and if I
pre-order ADSL do I order on the number I want or the line I want? Or
should I just wait?

I was on the edge, the ADSL checker at www.bt.com/broadband said one line
was not suitable and the other was a 'maybe'. The maybe line is actually the
one I wanted to keep. I had to join the Extended Reach Pilot scheme in order
to get the line enabled.

17070 until recently gave line length. They're not giving this information
now, don't know why. BT apparently hold line attenuation information in
their database, and they convert this to a length as this is 'less
technical' (BT's own quote!) for the end user to understand. This concept of
length is misleading, it is the electrical integrity of a line that is
important. They have also used an artificially low cut-off figure, their
brand of ADSL (512k down, 256k up) is very much like ADSL.Lite which is
quotes as 25000ft plus for normal installations. My feeling is given the way
BT convert attenuation into length that 7.5km should be achievable (I did
the 17070 test about 6 months ago, and the line I've currently got RADSL on
showed up as 6.2km. My modem is giving a 20dB SNR margin - so much for the
original 5.5km limit!).

In reality I think if either of your lines passes BT's line attenuation
criteria, which as I believe to be artifically low at the moment anyway,
then you'll get an acceptable SNR on the modem so it won't really matter.

I'm sure I can't be the only one in this situation, although perhaps
it is unusual to have 2 lines coming in at different places.

I think you can get wireless modems, possibly DECT compatible ones - so if
you have a DECT phone system you have a choice which line to use, just put
the basestation at the phone entry point.

Mark.