ADSL seems to hve gone really slow recently...any clues

Old August 17th 03, 09:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ebodski

Default ADSL seems to hve gone really slow recently...any clues

ISP. Virgin.net
Exchange: Littleborough
Connection : 2 PCs via combi router modem

Can anyone give me any advice , procedures to follow in order to check
whether I'm correctly setup
eg how do I ping to tell what speed I've got.

I am connected, it just seems only a little faster than a 56k modem......

IJ

Old August 17th 03, 09:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham in Melton

Default ADSL seems to have gone really slow recently...any clues

On 17/8/03 9:00 pm, in article
, "Ebodski"
wrote:

ISP. Virgin.net
Exchange: Littleborough
Connection : 2 PCs via combi router modem

Can anyone give me any advice , procedures to follow in order to check
whether I'm correctly setup
eg how do I ping to tell what speed I've got.

I am connected, it just seems only a little faster than a 56k modem......

IJ

Go to adslguide.org.uk and try their performance checker - it'll let you
know what you're getting.

Old August 17th 03, 10:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Wilkinson

We had and still have this problem. Our Cisco Router seems to need
kicking every few days. However our most recent problem was MSBLAST
which hogged all our ports. Try rebooting the router.

You do not say what size ADSL pipe you have. Some of the smaller offers
given contention will be quite slow at certain times.

CHRIS

In message ,
Ebodski writes

--
Chris Wilkinson - Dubna Systems
Due to virus bombardment please note that any email containing a virus will be
Old August 17th 03, 10:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ebodski

I have a 500k pipe.

I have rebooted the router several times. It just seems much slower than
usual...

Old August 17th 03, 10:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Richard Dixon

"Ebodski" wrote in
:

I have a 500k pipe.

I have rebooted the router several times. It just seems much slower
than usual...

Hi there

So it's not just me then. Got this reply from Virgin. No further clues:

There were no problems with the broadband service yesterday. If you are
now able to view webpages normally, then fine, but if not, please let
us know.

It may be down to firewall settings on your system.

Please let us know what firewall you are running and also your
Virgin.net username/e-mail address.

Please also include the version of Windows you are using and the
modem/router you are using.

We will then hopefully be able to help.

Richard
Old August 17th 03, 10:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Richard Dixon

"Ebodski" wrote in
:

I have a 500k pipe.

I have rebooted the router several times. It just seems much slower
than usual...

Also - this pops up on the virgin.net page:

MSBlast Virus: Important Customer notice

You may be aware that a virus has been causing major problems for Internet
users worldwide over the past few days.

The MSBlast virus can affect PC users who have the following operating
systems:

Windows 2000
Windows XP
Windows NT 4.0
Windows Server 2003
You should protect your computer by installing the latest Microsoft security
update or 'patch'. This is available from our MSBlast information page,
along with details about what to do if you think your computer is already
infected.

If you've already installed the latest Microsoft security patch and are
experiencing a slower than normal Internet performance, please do not be
alarmed. The overall performance of the Internet in general has been
affected as a knock on effect of the virus.

Old August 18th 03, 12:01 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Maximilian K.

"Ebodski" wrote in message
I have a 500k pipe.

I have rebooted the router several times. It just seems much slower than
usual...

Well it WAS slower than usual.

Virgin uses NTL's infrastructure. Normally it is working very well.
I have a 512K 50:1 broadband line from Virgin.

I live in Wokingham, so my NTL/Virgin PoP's are Winnersh & Guildford.
Several days in a row, whenever I turned on my computer and it executed
"dial-up" connection to authenticate to Access server,
* when it connected me to Guildford PoP, it gave me 230-250-280 kbit
downstream during the day. At 1-2AM it would normally revert to MAX speed
available: 478/247 in my case. (MTU/MSS optimisations in place)
* when it connected me to Winnersh PoP, it gave me always the maximum speed:
478 kbit downstream/247 upstream.
I didn't have real control over which PoP to select, except "re-dial" until
I'm connected to the required PoP.

Last couple days, may be due to msblast clogging network with unnecessary
traffic, even Winnersh occasionally slowed down, but even at the worst
hours, it was not below 390 kbit/sec.

Let's see where it all brings us at the end of the day.

--
_______________________
Maximillian!

P.S. Virus makers should be castra... oops... kil... errr, deprived access
to computers.

Old August 18th 03, 04:25 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Maximilian K.

"chris" wrote in message
On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 00:01:38 +0100 and in article uPT%a.15068$yl6.6553
@newsfep4-winn.server.ntli.net, Maximilian K. said...
:
: Virgin uses NTL's infrastructure. Normally it is working very well.
: I have a 512K 50:1 broadband line from Virgin.
:
Do Virgin also employ those *awful* transparent caches NTL world use?
They were truly *awful*. Seriously, I am considering not going back to
NTL at Uni because of their awful web access. It is truly shockingly
****.

Apparently, Virgin does NOT employ transparent webcaches.
Also if I need a proxy occasionally, I can use
cache(1,2)-(winn,glfd).server.ntli.net.
E.g. if I wanted to watch BBCi Broadband.

Cable modems have a whole LAN of customers they need to to transport
upstream via an upstream link, not very wide.
With ADSL technology, your copper line connects you to phone exchange where
it's plugged into a DSLAM (multiplexor), so up to the ISP network goes much
thicker tube - and more customers of the same exchange, but statistics plays
its role. The more customers, the less bandwidth per customer is needed to
satisfy them.

So as it uses cable modems, -- to save bandwidth, NTL has to employ
transparent proxies - to force you to use them.
Virgin doesn't need to do it as we sit on DSL.

I tried these proxies sometimes and I'd say once they are OK, but the other
day they are really slow or even would say "refuse connection"
occasionally...

Can't wait until Virgin starts offering 1 and 2MB lines for home. Until
then... I don't do Kazaa, so 512kbit/sec seems satisfactory.
If only they will return to normal shortly as the Blaster worm gets dealt
with gradually.
___________________
Maximilian!

Old August 18th 03, 09:46 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Richard Dixon

"Maximilian K." wrote in
:

Last couple days, may be due to msblast clogging network with
unnecessary traffic, even Winnersh occasionally slowed down, but even
at the worst hours, it was not below 390 kbit/sec.

I'm not sure about kbit/sec, but usually I get 58K/sec download rates, which
I presume is standard fare for 512K dial-up. Yesterday (I live in Raynes
Park, London SW20), in the morning I was getting about 13K/sec and it slowed
to a crawl come the evening. I've checked my computer and there's no sign of
this virus that's going around. All very odd.

Richard