Zen support - very impressive !

Old August 18th 03, 09:52 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.legal
Peter Morgan - 0870 432 9631

Default Zen support - very impressive !

On 13 Aug 2003 20:14, chris wrote:

You shouldn't publish private e-mails

Interesting one... something in a radio drama recently suggested that a
recipient held "ownership" of items, not the sender (these were letters)
so while I can understand the 'decent' thing to do would be to maintain
privacy, are there any precedents to show ownership of an item of e-mail
or typed/handwritten letters (or both: there may be conflicting results!)

FUs set to uk.legal. Peter M
Old August 20th 03, 08:29 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
ID: 29

"Peter Morgan - 0870 432 9631" wrote in message
.net...
On 13 Aug 2003 20:14, chris wrote:

You shouldn't publish private e-mails

Interesting one... something in a radio drama recently suggested that a
recipient held "ownership" of items, not the sender (these were letters)
so while I can understand the 'decent' thing to do would be to maintain
privacy, are there any precedents to show ownership of an item of e-mail
or typed/handwritten letters (or both: there may be conflicting results!)

FUs set to uk.legal. Peter M

Just for the record... you 'could' say print out the email and claim you
'owned' the message BUT... the copyright remains with the author unless
passed to the recipient (or other party). In practise, this means you
cannot actually do anything with your printed message without the author's
consent.

The best thing to do is to repeat only those parts of the message necessary
(fair use) and refrain from including any personal references to the
individual - names, addresses (postal or email) and IP numbers.

And yes, Zen are pretty hot when it comes to answering their emails. They
also put more effort than most into keeping their network clean... I
remember phoning around 20 different dept's at BT once when one of their
users machine kept broadcasting the big virus of the day - they never
answered an email and finally some techie on the phone said they weren't
allowed to contact customers (even after I read their AUP to him). Anyway,
can't imagine me doing that now.

At least Zen recognise that 'tipping off' a customer about a potential
problem is ultimately going to prevent 100's or 1000's of issues (virus or
spam wise) later on. Good for them and certainly good for us.

God knows why I wrote all that... I must be bored?

Regards
Jon