Is BT blocking port 135?

Old August 18th 03, 03:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Shaun

Default Is BT blocking port 135?

Hi

My Exchange server is in the US; I can use the outlook client from my
PC if I dial up via freewire, or vodafone. However, if I use ADSL
from btopenworld, since a week ago I have not been able to get
messages from the server.

Our US guys tell me they've had problems from ISP's who have been
blocking 135 since the MSBLAST virus.

Anyone know if this is the case? It worked via ADSL last week, and it
still works via other dialups....

TIA

Shaun
Old August 18th 03, 05:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Anteateruk

"Shaun" wrote in message
om...
Hi

My Exchange server is in the US; I can use the outlook client from my
PC if I dial up via freewire, or vodafone. However, if I use ADSL
from btopenworld, since a week ago I have not been able to get
messages from the server.

Our US guys tell me they've had problems from ISP's who have been
blocking 135 since the MSBLAST virus.

Anyone know if this is the case? It worked via ADSL last week, and it
still works via other dialups....

How do you check mail - by POP3? That uses port 110 so you shouldn't be
having a problem.

You could try doing a traceroute to the server. e.g. from a Windows machine
start a command prompt and type:

tracert pop3servername.whatever press enter

(where pop3servername.whatever is the name of the mail server you use)

Post the results here if you are not sure what they indicate.

--
Ant

Old August 18th 03, 06:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
James Hurrell

"Shaun" wrote in message
om...
Hi

My Exchange server is in the US; I can use the outlook client from my
PC if I dial up via freewire, or vodafone. However, if I use ADSL
from btopenworld, since a week ago I have not been able to get
messages from the server.

Hi Shaun,

I seem to be having exactly the same problem as you currently. I work
freelance for a French company and they have granted me access to their MS
Exchange Server to view Public Folders. I access the server via a VPN
connection (with SecuRemote client to a CheckPoint server) on my Nildram 500
ADSL account. Since about last Monday or TuesdayI have been unable to login.
I receive the login box, but then I receive a message stating the server is
unavailable. My tech guy in France is on holiday at the moment so I haven't
been able to find out whether they are doing anything different, but reading
Google about Exchange ports, it seems that port 135 is required and this is
one of the ports being exploited by the Blaster virus...

Next stop Nildram to see if they have blocked any ports...

regards,

James Hurrell

Old August 18th 03, 07:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
thealbion

Hi Shaun

I doubt the problem is blocking of port 135. I don't know which mail
protocols you're running (SMTP, POP3.....) but these use different
ports. I've had port 135 blocked for sometime and have also blocked
it for customers I deal with and can assure you it hasn't caused any
problems.

You'd need to post more info about your connections before I can help
any more.

HTH

thealbion

Old August 18th 03, 08:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Greg Hennessy

On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 19:42:17 +0100, "Simon Heather"
wrote:

Port 135 is required for IMAP which Outlook uses -

Port 135 is *not* required for IMAP.

Anyone who attaches a open exchange server to the public internet without
using a VPN deserves the kicking they will inevitably get.

greg

--
$ReplyAddress =~ s#\@.*$##; # Delete everything after the '@'
Alley Gator. With those hypnotic big green eyes
Old August 18th 03, 08:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sean Nugent

On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 18:43:56 +0100, "James Hurrell"
wibbled about:

[...]

It would seem unlikely that Nildram have blocked the IPSec protocol
and there is no way they can prevent you from using any port you like
through a VPN as they have no way of telling what you are doing.....

Sean
Old August 18th 03, 08:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Shaun Conn

Hi

So - does an online connection of Outlook XP to my exchange server use 135
or not? Some say yes, some say no!?

Someone asked me to post a tracert - there is no problem with tracert - i
can quite happily ping the server, just not get email from it when
connecting over btopenworld.

I can't use our VPN because it uses random ports to connect as part of its
security, hence 135 will definitely be a problem.

Shaun

Old August 18th 03, 09:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Shaun Conn

Hi

I thought the IPSec protocol used random ports (including 135) and that
Nildram would have no way of knowing what port is to be used by IPSec....

So they may not have actively blocked the "IPSec port", but may have
inadvertently killed IPSec by blocking 135...?

Shaun

Old August 18th 03, 10:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Shaun Conn

Default Is BT blocking port 135? Update

Hi

I installed a different firewall - Kerio - and restarted Outlook. It said
Outlook was trying to open port 135, so I guess Outlook XP *does* use
135.....

Shaun

Old August 18th 03, 11:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris

"Shaun Conn" wrote in message
Hi

I thought the IPSec protocol used random ports (including 135) and that
Nildram would have no way of knowing what port is to be used by IPSec....

So they may not have actively blocked the "IPSec port", but may have
inadvertently killed IPSec by blocking 135...?

Shaun

135 is nothing to do with IPSEC.