Does BT Openworld have an unfaire advantage?

Old August 19th 03, 03:36 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy

Default Does BT Openworld have an unfaire advantage?

My exchange is due to be enabled on Septembers 6th and I have signed up with
Eclipse. They tell me that BT will not do a line check and thus give a me a
date until on or after this date.
A friend has signed up with BTO and he says he has been give an activation
date of 17th September.
Does this sound right, if so surely BT customers are surely being give
preference over other ISPs.

Old August 19th 03, 05:53 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Simon Ashdown

"Andy" wrote in message
My exchange is due to be enabled on Septembers 6th and I have signed up

with
Eclipse. They tell me that BT will not do a line check and thus give a me

date until on or after this date.
A friend has signed up with BTO and he says he has been give an activation
date of 17th September.
Does this sound right, if so surely BT customers are surely being give
preference over other ISPs.

This isn't relevant to your post but I'll make the point anyway.....if BTO
have any sort of advantage at all, it certainly isn't reflected in the
performance that their customers experience in their broadband service.

Speaking as a former BTO subscriber.

Old August 19th 03, 08:34 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Andy" wrote in message
My exchange is due to be enabled on Septembers 6th and I have signed

up with
Eclipse. They tell me that BT will not do a line check and thus give

a me a
date until on or after this date.
A friend has signed up with BTO and he says he has been give an

activation
date of 17th September.
Does this sound right, if so surely BT customers are surely being give
preference over other ISPs.

Eclipse sound as they are just being cautious..

In the situation you have described above, most ISP's including BTO will
give approximate dates when ADSL will "go live" to their customers.
(assuming their line tests are problem free)

However, all the line tests (regardless of which ISP) will normally be
done after the 6th September by BT Wholesale..

Regards
Sunil

Old August 19th 03, 10:27 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Andy wrote:

My exchange is due to be enabled on Septembers 6th and I have signed up with
Eclipse. They tell me that BT will not do a line check and thus give a me a
date until on or after this date.
A friend has signed up with BTO and he says he has been give an activation
date of 17th September.
Does this sound right, if so surely BT customers are surely being give
preference over other ISPs.

Are you dumb? EVERYTHING BT has done with repect to ADSL and broadband
has been designed to give them an unfair advantage, and OFTEL has stood
there and done only what was politically mandatory to stop them.

Old August 19th 03, 10:58 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Draxen

"Simon Ashdown" wrote in message

"Andy" wrote in message
My exchange is due to be enabled on Septembers 6th and I have signed up

with
Eclipse. They tell me that BT will not do a line check and thus give a

me
date until on or after this date.
A friend has signed up with BTO and he says he has been give an

activation
date of 17th September.
Does this sound right, if so surely BT customers are surely being give
preference over other ISPs.

This isn't relevant to your post but I'll make the point anyway.....if BTO
have any sort of advantage at all, it certainly isn't reflected in the
performance that their customers experience in their broadband service.

I think the OP has a point here though, after all you give a three legged
donkey a six furlong head start in the Grand National, he's still gonna
finish dead last.

Speaking as a former BTO subscriber.

Ahh, a fellow veteran, BTO victims should start a society or a self-help
group methinks.

Old August 19th 03, 01:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Metronet Support

In article , Andy wrote:
My exchange is due to be enabled on Septembers 6th and I have signed up with
Eclipse. They tell me that BT will not do a line check and thus give a me a
date until on or after this date.
A friend has signed up with BTO and he says he has been give an activation
date of 17th September.
Does this sound right, if so surely BT customers are surely being give
preference over other ISPs.

hmmm conspiricy theorys-r-us....

Lets just say its damn awkward to report faults to BT, particularly if the
word 'intimitiant' has to be used, and very often we go round and round in
circles, we are told very little, and our Accounts Manager is not too
forthcoming on information.....read into that what you will. Whether this is
what all ISPs get (if !BTO or not) I do not know....

Regards

Alex

--
Alexander Clouter
MetroNet Support http://www.metronet.co.uk/support/

Old August 20th 03, 05:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eddie Grant

"P R-J" wrote in message
.. .
Let me ask you.

If you could choose never to deal with BT ever again because there was a
real alternative.

What would you do?

Do you even have to bother asking that question?

Old August 20th 03, 06:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

P R-J wrote:

Let me ask you.

If you could choose never to deal with BT ever again because there was a
real alternative.

What would you do?

Never deal with BT, or Microsoft, OR Nu Laber, ever again.

Old August 20th 03, 08:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Metronet Support

In article , P R-J wrote:
Let me ask you.

If you could choose never to deal with BT ever again because there was a
real alternative.

What would you do?

Unfortunately this is not an option. To supply ADSL to users means access to
the exchange. If you wish not to use ADSL equipment supplied by BT that
means leasing use of the exchange and copper pairs to the End User's
property. You also would need qualified engineers to play with the DSLAMs
and a big pile of cash to burn to pay for access at BTs convience to the
exchanges.

Some ISPs (Easynet) have installed their own DSLAMs but only at one or two
exchanges where the demand is high enough for them to get the users; this
includes support for sdsl and adsl upto speeds of 8Mbps! We have not and
probably will not as the demand is not there.

I think the problem mainly boils down to heavy manglement and
proceedures/protocols/departments that get roped into the whole ADSL process.
Bean counters do like being able to have one group of people bill another
group for services even if those departments work for the same company. This
adds 'latency' across the board; it also means each department has a strict
protocol which means some faults (about 30% from experience when dealing with
BT) are damn difficult to sort out without breaking the rules (playing the
system and deploying 'countermeasures').
This unfortunately is now becoming true for all companies; exceptions
apply for various reasons I will not go into, however being serious I find
working at Metronet that I have none of this 'manglement' to go through;
which leaves a lot of flexiblilty which I feel is passed onto our customers.
At my $ork[-1], manglement and the bean counters ruled, sure they both have
their place however when they do not have a clue about their actually job or
the Real World (TM) things become awkward for both the employees and the
customers, hence $ork[-1] :-/

Regards

Alex