Plusnet proxy server?

Old August 19th 03, 10:22 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stephen Smith

Default Plusnet proxy server?

Gareth Davies wrote:

I know that Plusnet doesn't provide a proxy server for web access. I also
know that Plusnet uses static IP addresses. I'm a bit concerned about the
fact that these 2 things allow websites to identify me: I've already
received what seems to be targetted spam from Network Associates to a non
disclosed e-mail address I assume on the basis of visiting their website
and downloading an evaluation version.

Is there any way I can hide my IP address - maybe by using another proxy
server?

What you can do is contact PlusNet and ask them to change your rDNS entry;
that way your IP address won't resolve back to username.plus.com but
rather IP_address.plus.com

Many moons ago, PlusNet (aka Force9) certainly *did* have proxy web
servers - I remember configuring Internet Explorer to use it. There was
probably about a 1% speed boost (!) noticed by using it. I don't know,
whatever happened to the proxies? (other than I understand that they were
more trouble than they were worth?)

Regards,

Stephen.