Please give suggestions for my ADSL problem

Old August 19th 03, 01:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Metronet Support

Default Please give suggestions for my ADSL problem

In article [email protected], Soapm wrote:
I run eMule on my 1.5/768 ADSL connection. Everything will be going fine
then all of a sudden all my uploaders will get kicked off and I loose all my
download
connections. This happens randomly (sometimes once a day and other times
twice in
20 minutes). New upload connections begin within seconds of the
disconnect. I called my ISP and they do not see the drops occurring
physically and because it restores immediately I do not believe it is a
physical problem either. I tried testing my theory by unplugging my phone
line and it takes my DSL modem approx. 1 minute to resync. Not the same.

Could this be a problem with the logical (software) portion of the DSL
service? Is there any test I can have my ISP run or errors they can look for
to try
and isolate this problem?

What is the IP address of your computer? Your modem might actually be a
router in disguise and there might be some evil DHCP at work which of course
you only notice when there are lots of connections. If your local IP address
changes then all the connections to/from your PC will be dropped.

I assume you are running Windoze so go to the Start Menu, click on Run, type
'command'. When you have a DOS prompt type 'ipconfig'. If your IP address
egins with either:
10.x.y.z
192.168.x.y
172.16-32.x.y

Then your modem is actually a router and might be changing your IP address.
If this is the case then you might find putting your machine onto a static IP
address will fix this.

If you have a true modem then you might find buggy windoze could be the
issue. Unless you actully tell us what your equipment is there is very
little we can do....

Regards

Alex

--