Grid reference of exchange

Old August 19th 03, 02:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Adrian Sims

Default Grid reference of exchange

Is this data available anywhere?

Adrian
Old August 19th 03, 06:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nick Hall

chris wrote:
Erm, the location of telephone exchanges is publicly available.

http://www.farina1.com/btexchanges.htm

Then getting the postcode from the above site and popping it into
streetmap.co.uk can give you the OS grid ref, as the OP wanted.
--
Nick
Finger for e-mail and instant message details
Old August 19th 03, 06:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter taylor

doesent seem 2 have all of them on it.
i can think of 2 that are missing

"chris" wrote in message
On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 15:59:51 +0100 and in article BB67F9F7.129B6%
, Graham in Melton said...
: (b) whether you feel it is actually useful to give terrorists the exact
: location of all the UK telephone exchanges to allow then to figure out

how
: to do the most damage .

Old August 19th 03, 07:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Eddie Grant

"Peter taylor" wrote in message
doesent seem 2 have all of them on it.
i can think of 2 that are missing

I can think of 2 counties missing..... Suffolk/Norfolk?

Old August 19th 03, 10:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Underwood

"Gareth Davies" wrote in message

"chris" wrote in message
On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 15:59:51 +0100 and in article BB67F9F7.129B6%
, Graham in Melton said...
: (b) whether you feel it is actually useful to give terrorists the

exact
: location of all the UK telephone exchanges to allow then to figure out

how
: to do the most damage .

Erm, the location of telephone exchanges is publicly available.

http://www.farina1.com/btexchanges.htm

Nah, incomplete list and incomplete information. Try Royal Mail
postcode/address database using keywords "British Telecom" or "Telephone
Exchange" as search name (can't remember which).

Has anyone actually managed to get the Royal Mail postcode - address
translater on their web site to work since they made it a site where you
have to register? Ever since then, it's spent ages trying to download the
search page - and after a few minutes my browser times out.

Old August 19th 03, 10:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Underwood

"Nick Hall" wrote in message
chris wrote:
Erm, the location of telephone exchanges is publicly available.

http://www.farina1.com/btexchanges.htm

Then getting the postcode from the above site and popping it into
streetmap.co.uk can give you the OS grid ref, as the OP wanted.

I've always wondered. How do sites like Streetmap translate postcodes into
grid refs to display on a map. Is it simply done by a massive lookup table
or does the postcode actually encode the approximate grid ref within the
second half of the code?

Old August 19th 03, 10:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 21:03:10 UTC, "Martin Underwood"
wrote:

Has anyone actually managed to get the Royal Mail postcode - address
translater on their web site to work since they made it a site where you
have to register? Ever since then, it's spent ages trying to download the
search page - and after a few minutes my browser times out.

I probably use it two or three times a week. My browser is Mozilla.

--
Bob Eager
rde at tavi.co.uk
PC Server 325*4; PS/2s 9585, 8595, 9595*2, 8580*3,
P70, PC/AT..

Old August 20th 03, 08:31 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Martin Underwood wrote:

"Nick Hall" wrote in message

chris wrote:

Erm, the location of telephone exchanges is publicly available.

http://www.farina1.com/btexchanges.htm

Then getting the postcode from the above site and popping it into
streetmap.co.uk can give you the OS grid ref, as the OP wanted.

I've always wondered. How do sites like Streetmap translate postcodes into
grid refs to display on a map. Is it simply done by a massive lookup table
or does the postcode actually encode the approximate grid ref within the
second half of the code?

Massive lookup table. The OS mapping stuff has a huge database of just
about everything anyone has ever entered on a map. Like pipe runs,
houses etc. They run very hard tryng to keep it up to date. You can, if
you spend serious money, get this data and print out whatever type of
map - e.g. contours, rodas, pipes, etc - that you want.

My guess is streetmap have a license to use some of it.

Old August 20th 03, 09:38 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jonathan Buzzard

In article m,
"Martin Underwood" writes:
"Nick Hall" wrote in message
chris wrote:
Erm, the location of telephone exchanges is publicly available.

http://www.farina1.com/btexchanges.htm

Then getting the postcode from the above site and popping it into
streetmap.co.uk can give you the OS grid ref, as the OP wanted.

I've always wondered. How do sites like Streetmap translate postcodes into
grid refs to display on a map. Is it simply done by a massive lookup table
or does the postcode actually encode the approximate grid ref within the
second half of the code?

Massive lookup table. To be precise it is a product known as "CodePoint".
As a plain text CSV file with the locations in lat/long and OSGB36,
and the postcode it is 67MB in size for the ~1.6 million postcodes
in Great Britain (as opposed to the United Kingdom).

There is also a bigger database known as "AddressPoint" that gives
coordinates for every one of the ~26million Addresses in Great Britain.

In addition to that there is the Landranger 1:50,000 gazatteer, that
encodes some 222,000 places names.

From the look of it Streetmap are using the CodePoint and Landranger
Gazatteer databases to drive their site.

JAB.

Jonathan A. Buzzard Email: jonathan at buzzard.me.uk
Northumberland, United Kingdom. Tel: +44 1661-832195
Old August 20th 03, 10:12 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Morgan - 0870 432 9631

On 20 Aug 2003, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

My guess is streetmap have a license to use some of it.

I think the annual cost for the licence must have been bumped up
as some other site has indicated the removal of some levels of
detail, and is using BT "Click and Buy" to allow detailed use
for 30 minutes, for 30p (max 60 searches within that time)