Blueyonder customer wishing to go wireless - need advice

Old August 19th 03, 04:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
maf

Default Blueyonder customer wishing to go wireless - need advice

I did the change with an Actiontec wireless router and Actiontec wireless PC
cards for the laptops bought from Dabs. Thanks to help from this newsgroup I
followed the instructions carefully in the router installation program,
including 'cloning' the MAC address of the ethernet card to which the
Telewest Cable Modem is connected.
IT worked first time

mike

"Murray Elliot" wrote in message
Hi folks,

As an existing Telewest customer complete with digital TV, telephone
and cable modem package (512K) I now have a need to go wireless due to
the expanding range and location of machines in my house (2 desktops,
2 laptops)

Two approaches come to mind:
(a) Attach a wireless router to the existing box - can anyone
recommend suitable hardware which will work with the blueyonder cable
modems? I'm assuming the netgear stuff is BY approved since it's what
they use for the self-install option.

(b) Cancel my existing subscription and go with a blueyonder
self-install for £35... this would appear at first glance to be the
cheaper option since I don't need to buy the initial hardware, but
would I be able to keep my existing account and move it over? Hmmm...

Any input from anyone with experience of these options would be very
welcome.

Regards
--
Murray Elliot
(Location: Bo'ness, Scotland).

Old August 21st 03, 02:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Stockdale

LOL! I always thought it must happen occasionally - but for one person to
end up with both cards is amazing!

I bet that caused some nightmares troubleshooting.

Martin

"Sean Nugent" wrote in message
On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 17:32:47 +0100, "Martin Stockdale"
wibbled about:

'Cloning' the MAC address is an easy way to do it, and used to be the

only
way without phoning BY. These days you can activate your router's MAC
address by visiting the self-help site: with this and a power cycle of

the
cable modem it should work without cloning.

I'm never very keen on cloning MAC addresses, because this means that

your
PC and the router WAN port have the same MAC address, and although they
can't normally see each other, they might if you (for instance) connected

it
up wrongly and, believe me from personal experience, duplicate MAC

addresses
are an awful problem to troubleshoot!

Martin

A network manager I used to work for had two nics framed on his wall.
They both had the same MAC address...

Sean

Old August 21st 03, 07:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sean Nugent

On Thu, 21 Aug 2003 13:53:03 +0100, "Martin Stockdale"
wibbled about:

LOL! I always thought it must happen occasionally - but for one person to
end up with both cards is amazing!

I bet that caused some nightmares troubleshooting.

Martin

I wasn't there for the fun - but I am told it caused some fairly foul
language.

Sean