Blueyonder customer wishing to go wireless - need advice

Old August 19th 03, 03:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Stockdale

Default Blueyonder customer wishing to go wireless - need advice

I've recently gone broadband with Blueyonder (no choice since exchange
nowhere near threshold for ADSL), and I wanted a similar setup to you right
from the start.

I started looking for a combination switch/router/Wireless Access Point, and
having looked at various at between £60 and £90, I found the Adaptec
AWN-8084 4-port wireless router from Amazon for only £49.99 so without much
more looking I just bought one!
(http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...00052/sr=1-2/r
ef=sr_1_3_2/026-6300386-7125259). It's currently out of stock there but in
stock in various places including dabs.

It does everything I would want from it. The WAN port is ethernet, and plugs
straight into the BY supplied cable modem (a Motorola Surfboard, can't
remember the model). It's got 4 100Mbps switch ports which I use to connect
my desktop PC (or when I need to move big files around) and it's got 802.11b
wireless (11Mbps).

Configuration was quick and easy - nothing at all to do on the WAN side,
just needed to set up WEP security on the wireless side. Gibson Research's
firewall tests (www.grc.com) seem happy that it's giving the protection I
need. My company's VPN connection works fine through it.

I'm sure the netgear stuff would work just as well - it may be better, but I
haven't yet found anything the Adaptec won't do for me, and I'm sure it's
the cheapest option around!

As I understand self-install, it's for people who have TV but not broadband.
You've already got broadband and a cable modem (haven't you?), so if you
cancelled broadband and then took out a new subscription with self-install
it would cost you £35 and get you a wireless access point only. No router,
no firewall, no switch ports for your existing desktops. The Adaptec costs
£50 (or there's the Linksys which Amazon are recommending for £60, and I'm
sure netgear do something similar), and just plugs into your existing cable
modem with no other hassle. Even if you can transfer your existing account
(which I would doubt), is the cost saving worthwhile? Doesn't look like it
to me!

When you plug the router in, you may get the same problem I did, which is
that your cable modem will have remembered the MAC address of your PC, and
will ignore the router. You can force the modem to speak to a new address by
powering it off and back on again (don't just press the button on the top,
that's not enough!) The process which should work is this:

You'll need to register the MAC address of the router WAN port with BY
beforehand. Then connect an ethernet cable from your PC to on of the
router's switch ports (the router has a DHCP server so it will give you an
IP address), and connect to the router configuration screen. Then, power off
the cable modem, connect it to the router WAN port and power it back on
again. If you watch the router WAN config screen you should see it receive
an 80.?? IP address after a while. At this point you should have your
broadband connection back again. If the WAN port gets a 192. address, this
has come from the cable modem (which has a DHCP server in it, for some
bizarre reason), and you need to power the router and the modem off and back
on again.

Once you've done this, you can then set up wireless security (WEP key etc),
and connect in your wireless machines.

Hope this helps,

Martin

"Murray Elliot" wrote in message
Hi folks,

As an existing Telewest customer complete with digital TV, telephone
and cable modem package (512K) I now have a need to go wireless due to
the expanding range and location of machines in my house (2 desktops,
2 laptops)

Two approaches come to mind:
(a) Attach a wireless router to the existing box - can anyone
recommend suitable hardware which will work with the blueyonder cable
modems? I'm assuming the netgear stuff is BY approved since it's what
they use for the self-install option.

(b) Cancel my existing subscription and go with a blueyonder
self-install for £35... this would appear at first glance to be the
cheaper option since I don't need to buy the initial hardware, but
would I be able to keep my existing account and move it over? Hmmm...

Any input from anyone with experience of these options would be very
welcome.

Regards
--
Murray Elliot
(Location: Bo'ness, Scotland).

Old August 20th 03, 03:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Murray Elliot

Thanks guys...

Looking a bit further into this I think you're both right in that
keeping the existing modem and attaching an access point is by far the
easiest route.

Thank you both for your recommendations.

Regards
--
Murray