Some (not all) downloads don't work

Old August 20th 03, 12:48 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

Default Some (not all) downloads don't work

Also as you are not with little ol' Metronet; I ain't gonna help :P

If ever there was a missed opportunity to show how Metronet support shone
above that of other ISPs, you just missed it :-p

At least you had the decency to try to help though :-}

or you are likely to be spam filtered :-}
Old August 20th 03, 08:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Metronet Support

In article , Colin Wilson wrote:
grumble grumble moon-on-a-stick grumble grumble

You came through though, so you`ll be on a recommend list if i`m ever
asked :-)

Well we have to see if it actually was the problem in the first place

Regards

Alex

--
Alexander Clouter
MetroNet Support http://www.metronet.co.uk/support/

Old August 20th 03, 09:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

You came through though, so you`ll be on a recommend list if i`m ever
asked :-)

Well we have to see if it actually was the problem in the first place

It matters little that it may not work, you made it sound good ;-)

or you are likely to be spam filtered :-}
Old August 21st 03, 01:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Doug

grumble grumble moon-on-a-stick grumble grumble

Why this occurs can be found at:
http://groups.google.com/groups?q=WX... le.com&rnum=1

If you put the following into notepad _exactly_ and save as a .reg file

---- pmtu-fix.reg ----
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Tcpip\Parameters]
"EnablePMTUBHDetect"=dword:00000001
"EnablePMTUDiscovery"=dword:00000001
----

The MS links about the braindead firewall and how to resolve them can be
found he
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/h...asp?frame=true
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/h...asp?frame=true

If you find the file upsets the matter, change both '00000001' to
'00000000's, and re-run the registry file.

As for the "two finger" salute. It took a long time to resolve the issue and
a lot of users were affected, I personally very rarely see the support team
of other ISPs helping the general public except on a sales-mission (with the
exception of AAISP). To just give away gems like that which resolve our
userbases problem in minutes, and see no sign of other ISPs doing the same is
annoying to say the least. Sure it is arguable that this might be a case of
"well no one else does it so why should we", ADSL is a cut throat margin
business and as ISPs we are after your money. If you look at our site, you
will wonder how we actually make money on our prices, it not easy......

Anyway, back to iptable-ing users and hitting this darn RPC DCOM virus....

Regards

Alex

Alex

After that very detailed advice I'm almost afraid to report that it
didn't work! I'm sure I've done exactly what you recommended (yea I
know, typical user response), but I got no errors out of the .REG file
when I applied it, heck I even double-checked with REGEDIT that it had
gone on OK where it should. And yes I rebooted as well...these
'problem' downloads still hang up after about 10K-15K and still
happily work if I switch to using my trusty old 56K modem...

I'm not running the MS ICF, I've got Zone Alarm pro. I've tried
turning ZA off, I've even completely deinstalled it but it doesn't
affect the problem at all(and really why should it, because ZA is
there when I use the modem and that works OK).

There must be something else going on here, but the question is what?
I'm going to see if there are any new drivers available for my ADSL
PCI card, maybe updating/reinstalling those will fix it. Any further
advice you would care to offer will be much appreciated...

--Doug.
Old August 26th 03, 11:58 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Rummy

Don't know if this is relevant, I have a (slightly) similar problem,
and a workaround.

I find that sometimes when getting Eudira to download e-mail it just
hangs. The solution is to ping any machine on the outside network.
This somehow kicks the connection back into life and Eudora then
continues to download until it stops again. Another ping works wonders
and so on.

Truly don't know if this is the same problem as you are having, but
you might want to try it and see.

Rummy