plus.net new subscription questions

Old August 18th 03, 02:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Julian Knight

Default plus.net new subscription questions

You might also need to be aware that you cannot connect to PlusNet email
unless you provide a CLI - this is the reason (only reason in fact) I
don't use their dial-up service because I am often on a site where, for
security reasons, CLI is not transmitted.

From Michael Klontzas:

On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 14:26:15 +0100, PlusNet Support Team
wrote:

On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 01:53:44 +0100, Michael Klontzas
wrote:
I'm not sure what setup you are used to and have never experienced the
setup you are referring to. By default your account comes with a
single default mailbox where all mail addressed to
is sent. You can create additional
mailboxes to filter off individual aliases (ie
). If you do this, your default mailbox will
include and your michael
mailbox will have just the mail sent to [email protected]

Does that make sense?

Yes, it does. It's still a bit cumbersome compared to what Demon,
Freeserve, Clara and others do but I'm sure I'll find a way around. Other
ISPs simply put everything into one mailbox and allow you to download the
lot or selectively, depending on the user ID you use to logon (i.e.
subdomain or [email protected], or in Freeserve's case even
[email protected] and [email protected]). With your approach if I
create separate mailboxes then I can't download everything at once. I
suppose your approach could have the advantage of increased security if
different mailboxes required different passwords, but AIUI this is not
the case. Anyway, thanks to The Bat! I'm sure I can come up with a set of
rules to re-merge the mailboxes.

* can I move between ADSL Home Surf and the enhanced ADSL Home
Self-Install freely, or do I have to wait for the 12 months minimum
contract period to expire first? (and then another 12 months if I choose
to move back?)

You can upgrade at anytime you like (As has already been pointed out,
we don't refuse additional revenue!). If you chose one of the deferred
payment options it can get complicated, but we can normally work it
out fairly for both of us.

But can you downgrade too? (I am not planning to; this is an academic
question)

* finally, Plus.net strongly recommend that I get the line activated
first before I purchase any equipment, which complicates things a bit
since I am planning to buy a router on ebay. Is there a way to know the
test results before I actually get the service going?

This is down to you - If the BT ADSL checker indicates you can get any
ADSL service then it may be worth the risk. If you are marginal at all
then I would personally wait until BT confirm the line is activated.

The BT ADSL checker says everything is fine and since we are talking
about central London chances are everything will be OK, so I'll probably
take the risk.

Thanks.

--
Julian Knight,
| *** Remove Anti Spam bits from address for Email Replies *** |
|Home Page:
http://www.knightnet.org.uk/ |
|Location : Sheffield, South Yorkshire, United Kingdom. |
|Occupation: Security, Directory, Messaging, Network & PC Consultant |
Old August 26th 03, 04:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Julian Knight

Sorry about the delay in replying.

From Michael Klontzas:

On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 14:52:07 +0100, Julian Knight ]
wrote:

You might also need to be aware that you cannot connect to PlusNet email
unless you provide a CLI - this is the reason (only reason in fact) I
don't use their dial-up service because I am often on a site where,

Thanks. As I don't use a laptop, away from home I would only use webmail
or some sort of pop3 interface, so this is not an issue here. What do
they need a CLI for if you need to go through authentication anyway?
AFAIK, Freeserve does the same thing.

They are trying to stop the rot that AOL and others suffer from where
people sign up for free email accounts to deliver large amounts of SPAM,
by knowing the CLI they are more likely to be able to levy a charge
against the originator of the SPAM (which is against the licensed use of
course).
Many free ISP's are doing the same thing for the same reason. Virgin.net
is one of the few that doesn't and so I use them as my backup ISP (I
have a paid for Demon account as my main access).

for security reasons, CLI is not transmitted.

Out of interest, what could these security reasons be? I would have
thought that if you call someone, you are expected to reveal your
identity. I know some people will automatically route calls from
unidentified sources to a voicemail. I think BT offers this option too
(could be wrong though).

It is a government site and the security rules specify that individual
direct dial numbers must not be transmitted (and I totally concur with
this). Actually, most PBX's get round this by always transmitting one
number - the main switchboard number. Sadly, this simple option does not
seem to have occurred to the people dealing with the phone systems & I
have been so far unable to get them to deal properly with it.