exchange to be activated . . . BUT

Old August 20th 03, 12:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Montgomery

Default exchange to be activated . . . BUT

Our exchange is to be broadband activated early November.
When I moved into this house a couple of years ago I wanted 2
residential lines - one for the phone and one for fax/internet.
BT connected a line splitting divice to the line to achieve this - so
they can now charge me for two line rentals (even tho the speed of
internet access on this split line is awful).
I think it would pay me to go for broadband - but when i check the
suitability of my number it says 'may not be suitable because there is
a line splitting device fitted to this line'.
Does anyone else have experience of this - and if I place an order
for broadband will BT prepare the line by removing the dreaded
splitting device?

Old August 20th 03, 01:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kráftéé

Peter Montgomery wrote:
Our exchange is to be broadband activated early November.
When I moved into this house a couple of years ago I wanted 2
residential lines - one for the phone and one for fax/internet.
BT connected a line splitting divice to the line to achieve this -
so they can now charge me for two line rentals (even tho the speed
of internet access on this split line is awful).
I think it would pay me to go for broadband - but when i check the
suitability of my number it says 'may not be suitable because there
is a line splitting device fitted to this line'.
Does anyone else have experience of this - and if I place an order
for broadband will BT prepare the line by removing the dreaded
splitting device?

BT should endeavour to remove the device if you do place an order for
DSL...

--
B-)
Life is pain.....

Old August 20th 03, 01:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jason Russell

In ,
Kraftee typed:
Peter Montgomery wrote:
Our exchange is to be broadband activated early November.
When I moved into this house a couple of years ago I wanted 2
residential lines - one for the phone and one for fax/internet.
BT connected a line splitting divice to the line to achieve this -
so they can now charge me for two line rentals (even tho the speed
of internet access on this split line is awful).
I think it would pay me to go for broadband - but when i check the
suitability of my number it says 'may not be suitable because there
is a line splitting device fitted to this line'.
Does anyone else have experience of this - and if I place an order
for broadband will BT prepare the line by removing the dreaded
splitting device?

BT should endeavour to remove the device if you do place an order for
DSL...

Contact Nildram. They do managed conversions and have removed a couple of
my clients dacs enabled systems to install ADSL.

Jason Russell

Old August 20th 03, 01:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve

In article ,
(Kraftee) wrote:

Peter Montgomery wrote:
Our exchange is to be broadband activated early November.
When I moved into this house a couple of years ago I wanted 2
residential lines - one for the phone and one for fax/internet.
BT connected a line splitting divice to the line to achieve this -
so they can now charge me for two line rentals (even tho the speed
of internet access on this split line is awful).
I think it would pay me to go for broadband - but when i check the
suitability of my number it says 'may not be suitable because there
is a line splitting device fitted to this line'.
Does anyone else have experience of this - and if I place an order
for broadband will BT prepare the line by removing the dreaded
splitting device?

BT should endeavour to remove the device if you do place an order for
DSL...

Since both lines are Peters, if he is ok with losing an incoming line
(which he may want for fax ???) then there shouldn't be a problem, unless
the line is not up to spec!

If he wants to keep the second line, then there might be a capacity
problem in the street. (Since they didn't give him a new line for fax,
then that might be the case !)

This was the problem when I wanted a second line installed. I still don't
have one :-(, but I do have adsl on the line that I do have.

HTH

Steve

Old August 20th 03, 01:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kráftéé

Jason Russell wrote:

Contact Nildram. They do managed conversions and have removed a
couple of
my clients dacs enabled systems to install ADSL.

I very much doubt if Nildram did, but then again BT may have done....

--
B-)
Life is pain.....

Old August 20th 03, 03:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
P R-J

The DACS box splits the line, this used to be used a lot but less so now.

Provided the box splits your lines and you have not got something like it
splitting with your niebours ask BT to remove the extra line and the DACS
box ASAP, you might be without the second line before you get your ADSL for
a while unless you can get the two co-ordinated.

Getting BT to co-ordinate anything that simple might proove a chalenge
unless you order BT's ADSL, even then it might not be easy.

Paying BT more for ADSL rather than ABC DSL might not be what you want to
do.

I would order the line removal get a date then order the ADSL for activation
the day after and inform the ISP what is happening, that way you can keep on
top of it!

Paul

"Peter Montgomery" wrote in message
On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 13:37 +0100 (BST),
(Steve) wrote:

In article ,
(Kraftee) wrote:

Peter Montgomery wrote:
[...]

Once I have broadband I wont need 2 lines - I really had the 2nd line
for internet use (althbough fax was also on it).
But I think what ppl are saying is that BT will remove the
line-splitting device, no problem?

Old August 20th 03, 03:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Josey

"Peter Montgomery" wrote in message
Our exchange is to be broadband activated early November.
When I moved into this house a couple of years ago I wanted 2
residential lines - one for the phone and one for fax/internet.
BT connected a line splitting divice to the line to achieve this - so
they can now charge me for two line rentals (even tho the speed of
internet access on this split line is awful).
I think it would pay me to go for broadband - but when i check the
suitability of my number it says 'may not be suitable because there is
a line splitting device fitted to this line'.
Does anyone else have experience of this - and if I place an order
for broadband will BT prepare the line by removing the dreaded
splitting device?

Keep both lines until you know one works ok for ADSL. As others have said,
BT should endevour to remove the DAX.

Then sign up with an ISP who gives you free inbound fax. Plusnet do for
example, they give you an 0845 fax number for inbound faxes and it costs you
nothing, they turn up as .tif files in you email.

Then cease one of the lines and enjoy pretty much the same functionality as
you had, plus broadband, but only paying one line rental.

Jc.

Old August 20th 03, 04:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve

In article ,
(Josey) wrote:

[...]

Not possible, he would have to have the DACS removed in order to get ADSL
active. There is only one pair intro the house. The DACS is in Peters
property.

Old August 20th 03, 04:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Metronet Support

Dear Peter,

The 'line splitting device' is known as a DACS and is the bain of all
internet users; it means you are sharing your telephone line pair with
someone else on the street you live on. This makes it completely unsuitable
for ADSL use, for technical reasons. This is also why you get only a maximum
of 33kbps via dialup.

Any ISP you apply for with ADSL will place the order to BT for it to be
enabled on your line, the only problem you will come across is that whoever
you choose will say your ADSL will be activated on date x, but really it will
not be turned on for upto a week (maybe more) after this. BT are the people
who remove the DACS and its not the ISP who arranges for the removal of it,
its just part of the ADSL process. BT do not let any of us know when the
DACS will be removed unless we pester them and know how to 'work' the system,
you will not be able to determine the date of its removal till after the
'formal' activation date.

Regards

Alex

In article , Peter Montgomery wrote:
Our exchange is to be broadband activated early November.
When I moved into this house a couple of years ago I wanted 2
residential lines - one for the phone and one for fax/internet.
BT connected a line splitting divice to the line to achieve this - so
they can now charge me for two line rentals (even tho the speed of
internet access on this split line is awful).
I think it would pay me to go for broadband - but when i check the
suitability of my number it says 'may not be suitable because there is
a line splitting device fitted to this line'.
Does anyone else have experience of this - and if I place an order
for broadband will BT prepare the line by removing the dreaded
splitting device?

--
Alexander Clouter
MetroNet Support http://www.metronet.co.uk/support/

Old August 20th 03, 07:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kráftéé

Jason Russell wrote:
In ,
Kraftee typed:
Jason Russell wrote:

Contact Nildram. They do managed conversions and have removed a
couple of
my clients dacs enabled systems to install ADSL.

I very much doubt if Nildram did, but then again BT may have
done....

Sorry, that's what I meant, but Nildram hassled BT to get it down

Very little hassling to be done as it has it's own process, it may
feel very slow but it does get there in the end, well normally.
--
B-)
Life is pain.....