Modems and Routers

Old August 21st 03, 01:14 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Happy Dave

Default Modems and Routers

Hi Group,

Just ordered my ADSL and before its activated i would like to sort out a
network. The wife has a PC in her office in the house and I have an office
in the external garage. I'd like them to share the ADSL but am struggling a
bit. A couple of questions:

1. if we both had ADSL modems attached could we share the internet at the
same time? or would i need a router for this?
2. Assuming I need a router whats the range like o the wireless ones? They
claim 50m indoors buts it would be located in the house meaning it would be
going about 25m to my office but through 3 walls, would this be OK?

any help greatly apprciated

Dave

Old August 21st 03, 08:06 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
ID: 29

"Happy Dave" wrote in message
Hi Group,

Just ordered my ADSL and before its activated i would like to sort out a
network. The wife has a PC in her office in the house and I have an office
in the external garage. I'd like them to share the ADSL but am struggling

bit. A couple of questions:

1. if we both had ADSL modems attached could we share the internet at the
same time? or would i need a router for this?
2. Assuming I need a router whats the range like o the wireless ones? They
claim 50m indoors buts it would be located in the house meaning it would

be
going about 25m to my office but through 3 walls, would this be OK?

any help greatly apprciated

Dave

Hi Dave,

This has been answered a few times but as you've given a specific scenario
lets take a look...

Number 1. You cannot use two modems on the same line simultaneously.

Number 2. Wireless is wonderful if you want to be mobile - say to use
Laptops around the house or garden. However they do cost more, are less
secure and don't have the performance of a cable set-up. As for range, this
is one of those MPG type spins beloved of car vendors. While one figure on
the box may quote the maximum range and another the bandwidth, its likely
you'll trade one for the other. Add a couple of walls, a noisy (radio wise)
environment and you're likely to see the bandwidth tail away as you increase
the distance.

Here's what I'd suggest... if your computers are desktops and if there's no
impassable barriers between them, I'd set up a standard cabled LAN between
the PC's. It's not complicated to do, its dirt cheap, reliable and secure.

The first thing you need to consider is your ADSL modem. Have you already
ordered one? If so, is it a USB connected one - if it's from your ISP then
it probably is. Okay then you're pretty much better off connecting the
modem up to the main machine and then using Windows Internet Connection
Sharing so that the other PC can access the internet. The only downside is
the master machine (the one with the modem) will always need to be switched
on when the second PC needs the internet.

If you haven't yet ordered your equipment then you have a much better option
open to you. For not a great deal of money, you can purchase a combined
Router/ADSL Modem that will independently handle the connection between PC's
and to the Internet. Most come with 4 ports now so you've got the
flexibility to add other devices later on... another computer, an Xbox, IP
Webcams (when they get cheaper) and a whole host of stuff not even been
dreamed of yet.

Which ever way you go, you will still need a Network Interface Card inside
each PC and a suitable length of CAT5 Ethernet cable running between the two
PC's. Network cards are really easy to install (you may even already have
one so do check), they simply slot into a spare PCI slot inside your PC's
and that's it (do switch off you PC before opening the case and don't wear
static producing woolly jumpers). You should definitely purchase 100MB cards
or 100/10MB cards, not the older 10MB ones that sometimes turn up. Your
local computer shop or even PC-World will help.

As for the cable, its really a glorified 8 core telephone cable with a
telephone like plug on each end. Its light-weight and easy to handle but be
careful not to stretch or bend it too much. CAT5 Ethernet cable (Category 5
means rated for 100MB/sec) is cheap and you should be able to buy it in
ready made lengths - a good idea to measure the route it'll take before
popping down the shops. If you need to run the cable to your garage
(overhead or underground) feed it through a piece of old hosepipe to protect
the exposed or buried portions.

If you're going to use a router then you will need standard CAT5 cable
running between the router and the remote PC. You will also need a shorter
length between the router and the master PC (assuming you will site it next
to one of the PC's) however you may find this one included with your router.

If on the other hand, you decide to use Internet Connection Sharing (with no
router) then you simply require a single length of cable running directly
from one PC to the other and plugged into each PC's Network card. There is
though one IMPORTANT difference! The CAT5 cable MUST be a Patch Cable (or
sometimes called a Crossover cable). This is essentially the same CAT5
cable but a couple of the inner wires have been crossed over so that it can
transmit and receive data correctly when no router is present. Again, its
important you ask for the correct one - or find a technical friend who can
wire one up for you.

Physically, that's it.

The rest depends on whether you buy a router and combined modem or go with
Internet Connection Sharing. You router will explain the steps needed to
connect it to your system, so do remember to read the manual. As for ICS,
that depends on which version of Windows you're using... WindowsXP (at least
on one machine) is simplicity itself, WindowsME slightly less so. I'd
suggest reading your ISP's help pages... all good ISP's should have a
tutorial explaining how to set-up your system and even Microsoft's Help is
reasonably good.

Oh and as for wireless... if you've equiped yourself with a router you can
add it later or spend a few pounds now and buy a router with it built in.
Then you'll be truly furture proof for whatever might come along next.

Was that useful?

John