Plusnet proxy server?

Old August 21st 03, 11:56 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Laird

Default Plusnet proxy server?

"Gareth Davies" wrote in
:

I know that Plusnet doesn't provide a proxy server for web access. I
also know that Plusnet uses static IP addresses. I'm a bit concerned
about the fact that these 2 things allow websites to identify me: I've
already received what seems to be targetted spam from Network
Associates to a non disclosed e-mail address I assume on the basis of
visiting their website and downloading an evaluation version.

Is there any way I can hide my IP address - maybe by using another
proxy server?

There are some anonymising proxies out there which are free to use - google
for "anonymizing proxy". There used to be a web-based service at
silentsurf.com but the site seems to be down at the mo.

I wouldn't rely too much on the privacy these services offer though.

chris