Remote Desktop over Satellite

Old August 21st 03, 10:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Metronet Support

Default Remote Desktop over Satellite

Dear Chris,

In a word....do not bother. My friend has a satlink, but we are pure Linux
kinda guys, well he likes BeOS more also but that is offtopic.

The satlink stuff is iffy at best, has periods of outages, heavily contended
and the best portion of latency you will ever get, if large latencies is your
sort of thing!

SSH it is just about bearable, really only when there is some form of QoS
(cheap_promo http://digriz.org.uk/jdg-qos-script//cheap_promo) to keep
things under control in place. With Windoze desktop sharing I would
recommend you just forget it. All the kit that is used to supply the
satlink is pretty much dating back to the beginning of the internet and does
not even support ECN and probably never will!

Satlink's are such a waste of money, you might aswell just use TightVNC
(http://tightvnc.com/) and a dialup modem or better still an ISDN line.

Regards

Alex

In article , Chris Williams wrote:
I am an IT Contractor with a client outside of ADSL/Cable coverage. I
am thinking of connecting them to the Internet via Satellite
(512/128). One of the primary purposes for the always on connection
will be for me to provide remote assistance via a VPN and Remote
Desktop which works fine over ADSL. Does anyone out there have
experience of such use ? Do the delays on the Satellite leg just cause
remote desktop to be slow or does it actually fail. Any advice or
suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance
Chris.

--
Alexander Clouter
MetroNet Support http://www.metronet.co.uk/support/

Old August 22nd 03, 08:25 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Metronet Support

In article , Martin Cooper wrote:
Metronet Support wrote:

snip
Satlink's are such a waste of money, you might aswell just use TightVNC
(http://tightvnc.com/) and a dialup modem or better still an ISDN line.

Or better still, ultra VNC (http://ultravnc.sourceforge.net/) which is
faster tan tight VNC. Still a little slow over a modem though.

Damnit there it was, I was getting all excited and thinking I had been
introduced to pretty much something fantastic, reading through the feature
list started me lamenting; at which point:

"Supported Operating Systems: Win9x/Me/NT4/Win2000/XP."

grumble grumble

pah!

Regards

Alex