Remote Desktop over Satellite

Old August 22nd 03, 12:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Default Remote Desktop over Satellite

Chris Williams wrote:

I am an IT Contractor with a client outside of ADSL/Cable coverage. I
am thinking of connecting them to the Internet via Satellite
(512/128). One of the primary purposes for the always on connection
will be for me to provide remote assistance via a VPN and Remote
Desktop which works fine over ADSL. Does anyone out there have
experience of such use ? Do the delays on the Satellite leg just cause
remote desktop to be slow or does it actually fail. Any advice or
suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance
Chris.

It will work, but in practice the delays will reduce your productivity
to an extent to make it unuseable in my opinion.

That is particularly so when typing and trying to get screen echo, or
moving a mouse and having the cursor lagging by 3/4 second.

If you are a touch typist of accuracy, it may be possible to type.

But teh mouse delays are going to be very bad.