Speech quailty on ASDL enabled line

Old August 22nd 03, 03:41 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Carver

Default Speech quailty on ASDL enabled line

Had ADSL enabled on my line for a month now. I'm on the 'extended reach'
trial. The ADSL service itself is working very well, and is very stable.

However the speech quality on the line (that was never particularly good before),
is very poor. Affects some phones in the house, more than others. I've tried
swapping different filter/splitters, which has improved things slightly. The main problem
is that the level of received calls is too quiet.

If I ring 151 and ask BT to increase the line gain, is that likely to affect the
ADSL performance, or prejudice the results of the trial ?
Old August 22nd 03, 04:41 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Mark Carver" wrote in message
Had ADSL enabled on my line for a month now. I'm on the 'extended

reach'
trial. The ADSL service itself is working very well, and is very

stable.

However the speech quality on the line (that was never particularly

good before),
is very poor. Affects some phones in the house, more than others. I've

tried
swapping different filter/splitters, which has improved things

slightly. The main problem
is that the level of received calls is too quiet.

If I ring 151 and ask BT to increase the line gain, is that likely to

affect the
ADSL performance, or prejudice the results of the trial ?

I would have thought increasing the line gain would make any noise on
the line worse...

Regards
Sunil

Old August 22nd 03, 04:45 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Carver

Sunil Sood wrote:
"Mark Carver" wrote in message

If I ring 151 and ask BT to increase the line gain, is that likely
to affect the ADSL performance, or prejudice the results of the
trial ?

I would have thought increasing the line gain would make any noise on
the line worse...

I assume the noise is the ADSL carrier breaking through ? if BT increase the
gain (at their end) of the *analogue* speech, would that not help?

(Of course the AGC inside the phone may well wind itself down, and I'd
be no better off.)
Old August 22nd 03, 05:55 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Darren Grant" -nospam- wrote in message

Do you have a DECT phone, as it is a common problem that the Auto

Level
doesn't work very well with some filters.

Does anyone know if there is there a list of DECT phones that are not
supposed to work well with ADSL filters?

Regards
Sunil

Old August 22nd 03, 06:28 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Darren Grant

Sunil Sood wrote:

Does anyone know if there is there a list of DECT phones that are not
supposed to work well with ADSL filters?

Not Yet

I am compiling a list of what phones/faxes/modems etc that have been
reported to have probems with a particular filter. The problem is that
the full information isn't easy to find.

One problem is the phone manufacturers may actually change things during
the life of the phone. For example a Panasonic DECT phone may be in
production for 3 years under the same model number but have 3 or 4
revisions of the PCB design depending on component availablity at the
time of manufacture.

I would be happy to hear from anyone who has had to change filters to
work with their phone so I can add the details.