what I need . . . but where to get it?

Old August 22nd 03, 04:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sam Albrow

Default what I need . . . but where to get it?

"Peter Montgomery" wrote in message
I recently posted and had some helpful adivice on having my DACS
removed from my line to enable a boradband connection. I now know
(thanks to your postings) that BT will remove the DACS and so
broadband will be possible for me.

Could I ask for some more help please . . .

At the moment there are 2 computers in the house which both use the
same dial-in account. Obviously I want both computers to use the same
broadband connection. I think this is possible, but not sure how. I
will need a broadband modem and any connections necessary for the 2nd
computer.

Is this fairly easy to set up? Is there an ISP who will arrange the
boradband conections AND provide all the equipment I need at
reasonable cost - and who thereafter will provide a good service as an
ISP. In other words an ISP who can arrange everything I need -
including placing the order with BT to provide boradband.

Plusnets router starterpack? Or just buy the equipment yourself and get what
you want.
You will also need a patch cable long enough to go from the adsl phone
socket to both pc's and an ethernet nic if the pc's don't already have one
built in (RJ45, similar to phone socket type connection).

Incidentally - can both computers access the internet the broadband at
the same time?

Yes, through a router or the other computer, you can't have 2 adsl modems
(at the same time anyway, but it would be pointless to buy two and use one
or the other)

And broadband means that the phone line isnt tied up? Right?

Yep
Sorry - this must make me sound very thick to most of you - but I
would appreciate your advice.

Oh yes one other thing - Im pretty sure that my own computer is up to
the job - but the second computer is a Pentium 200, running Windows 95
with 64 megs RAM and no USB ports. I guess this will need to be
upgraded. Would Windows 98SE be ok (thats what I run on my own
computer).

Why? Just install a NIC - 95 shouldn't have any problems with this, all its
doing is getting an internet connection over the network, it doens't matter
that it doensn't know what adsl or usb is.

Stay clear of USB anyway for networking \ broadband really. You could
upgrade to 98SE I suppose; if you have a second valid licence of cource
(cough).

Sam

---
Sent from \\STN1 on HOMENET1 by user Sam Albrow 'Administrator'.