what I need . . . but where to get it?

Old August 22nd 03, 06:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
amstereofan

Default what I need . . . but where to get it?

"Peter Montgomery" wrote in message
I recently posted and had some helpful adivice on having my DACS
removed from my line to enable a boradband connection. I now know
(thanks to your postings) that BT will remove the DACS and so
broadband will be possible for me.

Could I ask for some more help please . . .

At the moment there are 2 computers in the house which both use the
same dial-in account. Obviously I want both computers to use the same
broadband connection. I think this is possible, but not sure how. I
will need a broadband modem and any connections necessary for the 2nd
computer.

Is this fairly easy to set up? Is there an ISP who will arrange the
boradband conections AND provide all the equipment I need at
reasonable cost - and who thereafter will provide a good service as an
ISP. In other words an ISP who can arrange everything I need -
including placing the order with BT to provide boradband.

It is much simpler than you think. Just simply sign up for an ISP like
Gioserve, Fast4, tiscali etc who offer a 512MB service for below the 20
mark. You'll get an email with confirmation etc

Buy an PCI (internal) ADSL modem for around 20 - 30 each on ebay DON'T pay
anymore they offer NO advantage. Ie I for brought one for 21 the other day
for my 2nd pc

Incidentally - can both computers access the internet the broadband at
the same time?

No apparently not I'm not sure why as I'm very new to ADSL myself. I suggest
you buy a couple of wireless blue tooth dongles so you can create a mini
wireless network with both pc's much simpler than wires everywhere etc

And broadband means that the phone line isnt tied up? Right?

Correct all your friends and relatives will be happy again they can get
though!

Sorry - this must make me sound very thick to most of you - but I
would appreciate your advice.

Oh yes one other thing - Im pretty sure that my own computer is up to
the job - but the second computer is a Pentium 200, running Windows 95
with 64 megs RAM and no USB ports. I guess this will need to be
upgraded. Would Windows 98SE be ok (thats what I run on my own
computer).

You may have problems getting an internal PCI modem to work with Win 95
(drivers) though 98se should be ok. A P200 is pushing it as lack of
processor speed and RAM will slow things down somewhat. See how you go

Old August 22nd 03, 06:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sam Albrow

"amstereofan" wrote in message

[...]

Or a router - using a pci modem will mean you have to have the pc on with
the modem if the other one wants to use the net.

Incidentally - can both computers access the internet the broadband at
the same time?

No apparently not

They certainly can, you should only have one ADSL modem though - it is silly
and will not work to have two. Simply buy a network card and for both pcs
and share a pci modem or a better soloution use a router.

I'm not sure why as I'm very new to ADSL myself. I suggest
you buy a couple of wireless blue tooth dongles so you can create a mini
wireless network with both pc's much simpler than wires everywhere etc

Bluetooth is not the sutiable technology. Wifi is however. A dongle is
likley to use usb which the op's second pc won't support (and would be too
slow if it did). A cheap fixed wire network is likley to be more relaiable
and won't use system resources.

And broadband means that the phone line isnt tied up? Right?

Correct all your friends and relatives will be happy again they can get
though!

Sorry - this must make me sound very thick to most of you - but I
would appreciate your advice.

Oh yes one other thing - Im pretty sure that my own computer is up to
the job - but the second computer is a Pentium 200, running Windows 95
with 64 megs RAM and no USB ports. I guess this will need to be
upgraded. Would Windows 98SE be ok (thats what I run on my own
computer).

You may have problems getting an internal PCI modem to work with Win 95
(drivers) though 98se should be ok. A P200 is pushing it as lack of
processor speed and RAM will slow things down somewhat. See how you go

If the op went for the pci soloution then put it in the fastest pc. A
dedicated router doesn't use system resources or require both pc's to be on,
hence my sugestion

HTH

Sam