what I need . . . but where to get it?

Old August 22nd 03, 05:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jason Clifford

Default what I need . . . but where to get it?

On Fri, 22 Aug 2003, Peter Montgomery wrote:

I recently posted and had some helpful adivice on having my DACS
removed from my line to enable a boradband connection. I now know
(thanks to your postings) that BT will remove the DACS and so
broadband will be possible for me.

Congrats.

At the moment there are 2 computers in the house which both use the
same dial-in account. Obviously I want both computers to use the same
broadband connection. I think this is possible, but not sure how. I
will need a broadband modem and any connections necessary for the 2nd
computer.

You have a fairly simple choice on how you do this.

If you are using a USB ADSL modem:
All you need is a connection between the two PCs. The usual way to do this
is to buy an ethernet network card for each PC and either a small hub with
each connected to it or a cross-over ethernet cable between the two PCs.

Then you just switch on NAT enabled routing on the PC connected to the
modem (internet connection sharing under windows).

If you are using an ethernet ADSL router:
Get one that has a mini switch (ie offers 4 or so ethernet ports) and
install ethernet cards into each PC. Connect the PCs to the router and you
are done.

Note that you must install firewalling software onto your PCs regardless
of which method you use.

Is this fairly easy to set up? Is there an ISP who will arrange the
boradband conections AND provide all the equipment I need at
reasonable cost - and who thereafter will provide a good service as an
ISP. In other words an ISP who can arrange everything I need -
including placing the order with BT to provide boradband.

All ISPs who offer ADSL will offer all of that except the equipment. Many
of us feel that the wide range of equipment available means the best
person to select the right kit for you is you.

Incidentally - can both computers access the internet the broadband at
the same time?

yes.

And broadband means that the phone line isnt tied up? Right?

Yes

Sorry - this must make me sound very thick to most of you - but I
would appreciate your advice.

We are all new to things the first time.

Oh yes one other thing - Im pretty sure that my own computer is up to
the job - but the second computer is a Pentium 200, running Windows 95
with 64 megs RAM and no USB ports. I guess this will need to be
upgraded. Would Windows 98SE be ok (thats what I run on my own
computer).

The current installation will be fine - just install a network card into
it.

You may have trouble accessing some content on some websites however that
is true regardless of your PC configuration so it's not a massive worry
and the number of sites is diminishing due to legislation mandating
accessability.

Jason Clifford
--
UKPOST.COM get your @ukpost.com address now...