New Line ?

Old August 23rd 03, 10:09 AM posted to uk.media.broadband,uk.telecom.broadband
Patrick Ross

Default New Line ?

Hi Folks

See if I know I cant get 1mb/2mg on my existing line

Would it be possible, if I added a 2nd line from BT and pay the £70 or
whatever it happens to be, would this give me a chance to obtain 1mb.2mg
then ?

As it stand I stay about 1 mile from the exchange as well, yet on the
checker it tells me that I am on the limit of receiving broadband ?

p.s does anyone know how long BT take to cancel HomeHighway etc...and do
they need to come to my house to do the conversation back to PTSN?

Thanks

Patrick

Old August 23rd 03, 11:45 AM posted to uk.media.broadband,uk.telecom.broadband
Sam Albrow

"Patrick Ross" wrote in message
Hi Folks

See if I know I cant get 1mb/2mg on my existing line

Would it be possible, if I added a 2nd line from BT and pay the £70 or
whatever it happens to be, would this give me a chance to obtain 1mb.2mg
then ?

As it stand I stay about 1 mile from the exchange as well, yet on the
checker it tells me that I am on the limit of receiving broadband ?

p.s does anyone know how long BT take to cancel HomeHighway etc...and do
they need to come to my house to do the conversation back to PTSN?

Say that you require a new line to be installed for broadband when you order
it. Call again and get it read back from your order to check the sales
person has put it in the notes, take names and extentions etc if possible.

Then if you can't get broadband get it refunded under the Sale of Goods (and
Services) act I think it is 'not fit for the purpose it was sold' (by
telling them its for broadband, this is an additional need from voice calls
which would otherwise be the only requirement).

Sam
Thanks

Patrick

---
Sent from \\STN1 on HOMENET1 by user Sam Albrow 'Administrator'.

Old August 23rd 03, 04:41 PM posted to uk.media.broadband,uk.telecom.broadband
Kráftéé

Sam Albrow wrote:
[...]

Maybe the original posting was badly written but it's not a case of
getting broadband or not the poster wants a guaranteed 1mb-2mb
service. So what you've written doesn't necessarily apply as a 512k
connection will fit the bill.
--
B-)
Life is pain.....

Old August 24th 03, 11:34 AM posted to uk.media.broadband,uk.telecom.broadband
Uncle Dom

"Kraftee" wrote in message
Sam Albrow wrote:
[...]

Not sure if this is what you were asking, but if you wanted to know "can you
put two 512 Mb lines together to make a 1 Mb line?" then the answer is yes:
if you have two modems and two broadband accounts then Windows (or Mac OS or
Linux, I think) can use them as if it were one at twice the speed.

Search for "multilink dialling".

Uncle Dom.

Old August 24th 03, 01:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.media.broadband
Bob Eager

On Sun, 24 Aug 2003 10:34:44 UTC, "Uncle Dom" wrote:

Not sure if this is what you were asking, but if you wanted to know "can you
put two 512 Mb lines together to make a 1 Mb line?" then the answer is yes:
if you have two modems and two broadband accounts then Windows (or Mac OS or
Linux, I think) can use them as if it were one at twice the speed.

I don't believe it's as simple as that. For a start, the ISP has to
support it.

--
Bob Eager
rde at tavi.co.uk
PC Server 325*4; PS/2s 9585, 8595, 9595*2, 8580*3,
P70...

Old August 24th 03, 04:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.media.broadband
Mark&Lisa

Bob Eager wrote:
On Sun, 24 Aug 2003 10:34:44 UTC, "Uncle Dom" wrote:

Not sure if this is what you were asking, but if you wanted to know "can you
put two 512 Mb lines together to make a 1 Mb line?" then the answer is yes:
if you have two modems and two broadband accounts then Windows (or Mac OS or
Linux, I think) can use them as if it were one at twice the speed.

I don't believe it's as simple as that. For a start, the ISP has to
support it.

there isnt anything the isp has to support anyway the op is asking
whether a second line would give him more chance than the first line but
this is only the case if there is a problem with the first line as both
lines would take the same route by and large

Old August 24th 03, 04:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.media.broadband
Kráftéé

wrote:

Not sure if this is what you were asking, but if you wanted to
know "can you put two 512 Mb lines together to make a 1 Mb line?"
then the answer is yes: if you have two modems and two broadband
accounts then Windows (or Mac OS or Linux, I think) can use them
as if it were one at twice the speed.

I don't believe it's as simple as that. For a start, the ISP has to
support it.

there isnt anything the isp has to support anyway the op is asking
whether a second line would give him more chance than the first
line but this is only the case if there is a problem with the first
line as both lines would take the same route by and large

That by & large can be anything from a few metres to a couple of
Kilometres. Yes the cables feeding the cab can vary that much in
cable length between it & the exchange (not so on the d-side network
though)...

--
B-)
Life is pain.....

Old August 24th 03, 04:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.media.broadband
Mark&Lisa

Kraftee wrote:

[...]

so you think trying a second line may work

Old August 24th 03, 04:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.media.broadband
Kráftéé

Mark&Lisa wrote:
Kraftee wrote:

wrote:

[...]

It depends on your local (& not so local) network, but any caveat
about being DSL compatable is pointless as your first line already is,
just not for the service level you say you want.

--
B-)
Life is pain.....

Old August 25th 03, 08:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.media.broadband
Uncle Dom

"Bob Eager" wrote in message
On Sun, 24 Aug 2003 10:34:44 UTC, "Uncle Dom" wrote:

Not sure if this is what you were asking, but if you wanted to know "can

you
put two 512 Mb lines together to make a 1 Mb line?" then the answer is

yes:
if you have two modems and two broadband accounts then Windows (or Mac

OS or
Linux, I think) can use them as if it were one at twice the speed.

I don't believe it's as simple as that. For a start, the ISP has to
support it.

--

Au contraire. It is (a) as simple as that and (b) the ISP doesn't have to
but as far as they are concerned it is just two modems with two connections.

Look up Knowledge Base #307849 on Microsoft's site.

Dom.