broadband modem . . . on all the time?

Old August 24th 03, 09:18 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Montgomery

Default broadband modem . . . on all the time?

Simple question - can you turn a broadband modem off?
I dont like to leave anything on when Im not at home.
Also - I have a burglar alarm system that is monitored thru the phone
line - when you activate it a call is automaticaly made to the
monitoring centre - and similarly if any alarm is activated.
I have heard that these systems may not be compatible with broadband -
so would it be ok if the modem was switched off at night? which is
when the burglad alarm system is used.
Old August 24th 03, 10:03 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Harry Broom

Yes you can. Although there are like most things a few caveats.

Most broadband routers/modems, autoconnect when power is restored.
There are also other arrangements such as USB ones that require you to
logon to your service provider anyway when you switch your computer
on.

I'm not sure about your alarm. I don't see why there should be a
problem especially if you have a filter in that part of the extension
that services it. The call is essentially the same type of data call
an analogue modem would make and I use one on a regular basis on my
broadband enabled line without any problems. Arrange a test with your
supplier/the police.

--
"I see nothing wrong with giving Robert some legal experience
as Attorney General before he goes out to practice law."

JFK
__
*nb anti spam measure* remove "glasses" *before* replying* (unless I've already done so of course)
Harry Broom, Basingstoke, Hampshire, UK.
Old August 24th 03, 10:48 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kráftéé

Montgomery) wrote:

Simple question - can you turn a broadband modem off?
I dont like to leave anything on when Im not at home.
Also - I have a burglar alarm system that is monitored thru the
phone line - when you activate it a call is automaticaly made to the
monitoring centre - and similarly if any alarm is activated.
I have heard that these systems may not be compatible with
broadband -

Actually this is supposedly not true anymore. I've not had it
confirmed yet (well the jumpering details anyway) but even RED CARE is
now compatable with Broadband.

Yes I know it wasn't & no I don't know what's changed at the end users
end, yet, but it is now compatable & if RED CARE is the other analogue
diallers will be as well...

--
B-)
Life is pain.....

Old August 25th 03, 12:19 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Kraftee" wrote in message
Also - I have a burglar alarm system that is monitored thru the
phone line - when you activate it a call is automaticaly made to the
monitoring centre - and similarly if any alarm is activated.
I have heard that these systems may not be compatible with
broadband -

Actually this is supposedly not true anymore. I've not had it
confirmed yet (well the jumpering details anyway) but even RED CARE is
now compatable with Broadband.

Yes I know it wasn't & no I don't know what's changed at the end users
end, yet, but it is now compatable & if RED CARE is the other analogue
diallers will be as well...

Some details redcare+ adsl compatibility at
http://www.redcare.com/security/products/adsl.htm

Regards
Sunil