freeserve broadband

Old August 24th 03, 10:01 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
BitsAndBobs

Default freeserve broadband

"ferg" wrote in message

Been offered special 19.99 rate but quite a few negative posts,like to
hear from people using freeserve at moment esp via router

ferg

Is there? I`ve not seen one..

Old August 24th 03, 11:13 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Johnny Too Bad

Been on FS broadband for 3 months now using an SMC router (SMC7404BRA) and
had no problems at all. Always connects, speed is consistent. These are the
settings I use with my router (FS won't support netwoks, like all ISPs, but
they were helpful enough to give me this information, so they can't be too
bad):

VCI = 38

VPI = 0

PPP = PPPoA

ENCAPSULATION = VCMUX

MODULATION = MULTIMODE (NOT ASKED FOR IN SMC SETUP)

AUTHENTICATION = PAP (NOT ASKED FOR IN SMC SETUP)

DNS = DYNAMIC SO LEAVE BLANK

IP IS ALLOCATED DYNAMICALLY SO NO IP ADDRESS/SUBNET MASK NEEDED

NO DIAL-UP PHONE NUMBER NEEDED

Old August 24th 03, 11:48 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
ferg

Been on FS broadband for 3 months now using an SMC router (SMC7404BRA) and
had no problems at all. Always connects, speed is consistent. These are

the
settings I use with my router (FS won't support netwoks, like all ISPs,

but
they were helpful enough to give me this information, so they can't be too
bad):

snip

thanks johnny

ferg

Old August 25th 03, 01:25 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gareth Jayne

Johnny Too Bad wrote:
(FS won't support netwoks, like all ISPs, but

Numerous ISPs support networks.

--
Gareth
I'm a reasonable man, get off my case.

Old August 25th 03, 10:56 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark&Lisa

Gareth Jayne wrote:
Johnny Too Bad wrote:
(FS won't support netwoks, like all ISPs, but

Numerous ISPs support networks.

such as

Old August 25th 03, 11:17 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gareth Jayne

Mark&Lisa wrote:
Gareth Jayne wrote:

Johnny Too Bad wrote:
(FS won't support netwoks, like all ISPs, but

Numerous ISPs support networks.

such as

AAISP, Zen to name a couple.

Old August 25th 03, 12:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Mon, 25 Aug 2003 10:17:23 UTC, Gareth Jayne
wrote:

Mark&Lisa wrote:
Gareth Jayne wrote:

Johnny Too Bad wrote:
(FS won't support netwoks, like all ISPs, but

Numerous ISPs support networks.

such as

AAISP, Zen to name a couple.

Depends if you mean 'support' as opposed to 'we are happy for you to
have a network but we can't troubleshoot it for you'. I suspect he meant
the latter; very few ISPs do that.

--
Bob Eager
rde at tavi.co.uk
PC Server 325*4; PS/2s 9585, 8595, 9595*2, 8580*3,
P70...

Old August 25th 03, 04:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Johnny Too Bad

Gareth Jayne, I think you misinterpreted my message:

Freeserve, like most (all?) ISPs don't mind if you connect through a home
network but their support ends at the point where the network connects.

There is no ISP AFAIK which will help you to sort out problems with your
network as well as your internet connectivity. If you know of one, post the
link to the page on their site which confirms this or give your own personal
experience of receiving such support.

"Gareth Jayne" wrote in message
. ..

Old August 25th 03, 06:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Johnny Too Bad

Sounds good and probably further than most ISPs will go, certainly the ones
I have experience of (FS, Clara and (gulp!) BT)

Johnny Too Bad wrote:
Gareth Jayne, I think you misinterpreted my message:

Freeserve, like most (all?) ISPs don't mind if you connect through a

home
network but their support ends at the point where the network connects.

There is no ISP AFAIK which will help you to sort out problems with your
network as well as your internet connectivity. If you know of one, post

the
link to the page on their site which confirms this or give your own

personal
experience of receiving such support.

I did kinda misinterpret what you were saying but...

AAISP. Have a look at their newsgroup (alt.internet.providers.aaisp).
They will certainly help to an extent with networking problems (have
done for me numerous times) on the phone. That doesn't mean they'll do
in depth analysis of your network problems but they'd happily advise
that "it could be your switch isn't working" or something like that.
Their tech support is very clueful.

On their newsgroup they answer all kinds of questions relating to
networks, Linux et al.

Old August 25th 03, 06:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gareth Jayne

Johnny Too Bad wrote:
Sounds good and probably further than most ISPs will go, certainly the ones
I have experience of (FS, Clara and (gulp!) BT)

I know :-) That's why we use AAISP at work. When something goes wrong,
we know we'll get someone on the end of the phone who actually knows
their mouse from their keyboard.