Trigger level set on exchange

Old August 24th 03, 11:09 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul

Default Trigger level set on exchange

CB wrote:

"Andrew Hodgson" wrote

Does anyone know the lowest number of registrations on an exchange in
the past before a trigger level has been officially set?

Depends on the location. Have a look at
http://www.adslguide.org.uk/availability/btprereg.asp

Yes, that's what the "powers-that-be" will have you believe.

Looking at adslguide, how come Looe needs 500 but East Barton needs 150! I
mean, you send a van with equipment to East Barton exchange and provide 150
ADSL lines and that makes economic sense so why not 150 trigger level for
all?

My conspiracy theories: (a) helps manufacturers by generating a long, steady
stream of orders for exchange equipment (b) which means customers don't nag
BT when their exchange gets 150 pre-orders.

While I'm ranting. I watched our exchange on ADSLguide (Yatton). After
/extremely/ steady growth from the start in September 2002 it made a huge
jump from 338 to "400" (trigger level) in one week. The jump was so big I
thought some git had made tons of false registrations and BT would kick it
out. Not the case - we got converted 30th July. So, my theory for that is
that some b****d ISP was slow passing their customers on to BT - if they'd
done it more promptly we'd have reached 400 yonks ago. I was not aware of
any ADSL campaign in the last week.

http://www.adslguide.org.uk/availabi...ory.asp?id=351

I'd like a BT insider to spill the beans and tell me which ISP held back
their customer list!

--
Paul

Old August 24th 03, 12:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham in Melton

On 24/8/03 11:09 am, in article , "Paul"
wrote:

My conspiracy theories: (a) helps manufacturers by generating a long, steady
stream of orders for exchange equipment (b) which means customers don't nag
BT when their exchange gets 150 pre-orders.

Rubbish - this subject comes up every month or so from someone so here's the
quick form reply. Don't feel embarrassed as you're not the first !

Its more to do with the cost of network infrastructure upgrades to connect
the exchange to the nearest large node with a big fat data pipe, than the
DSLAM costs, which are quite small. DSLAMS are not unitary bodies, they come
by the rackful, which sets a minimum level of investment if everything else
is there. This number seems to be debatable, but its a lot more than 32 as
BT are trying a reduced size system out which has 32 subs. IMO, its probably
closer to 300 for the full rack alone.

Then there's the power upgrade, the fibre to connect to the backhaul, the
aircon, yadda yadda yadda. Been discussed hundreds of times over but I guess
you probably missed those discussions.

The MAJOR cost and delay is road digging for connection - most exchanges
which have no threshold set or have high trigger levels are those which are
copper connected and a long way from the nearest data node. That means a
big fibre upgrade to support the hamlet of Chipping Upper Soddington or
whatever, which ends up with an exchange of 150 telephony subscribers on the
end of a fibre dig costing £250,000 Thatıs why you feel unloved and
unwanted. Its nothing to do with the suppliers - its your nice rural
location !

Old August 24th 03, 12:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul

Graham in Melton wrote:

Thatıs why you feel unloved and
unwanted. Its nothing to do with the suppliers - its your nice rural
location !

OK, but I like conspiracy theories
--
Paul

Old August 25th 03, 12:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham in Melton

On 25/8/03 11:41 am, in article , "Jonathan
Buzzard" wrote:

Power upgrade? Do you want to explain that one? Are you really saying
that a digital exchange consumes more power than an old analogue one?
As the vast majority of exchanges are converted analogue ones they
surely have plenty of surplus power.

Yes, they did juts after the conversion, but a lot has happened since then -
that was a long time ago for most exchanges.

When System X was installed, the lower power consumption systems were
introduced along with a reduced backup supply. The lead acid batteries were
largely replaced by sealed units and the generators by units with much less
capacity.

So start stacking DSLAM units and more power is needed, but more
importantly, a larger backup system. This was never envisaged in the power
supply sizing.

Perhaps a bit clearer now ?

And aircon suffers the same, but less so.

Old August 25th 03, 02:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roderick Stewart

In article , Jonathan Buzzard wrote:
Power upgrade? Do you want to explain that one? Are you really saying
that a digital exchange consumes more power than an old analogue one?

A digital *anything* seems to need more power than the equivalent
analogue one, so it wouldn't surprise me if a telephone exchange
required more power too.

Rod.

Old August 26th 03, 09:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roderick Stewart

RE INMATE "Roderick Stewart"

This phsyciatric facility would like to apologise to readers of the group
for this thread. It would appear one of our inmates has been able to access
one of our PC's and post.

If this should occur again, please humour him, offer him a banana and do not
mention cable companies - report all instances to 0800 0851 151 (a reward is
offered to the first person to get through)

Ben Dover
Pat Megroin
(Nursing Staff at the MIND correctional centre for the DSL disabled)