Alcatel Settings

Old August 24th 03, 11:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Akomic

Default Alcatel Settings

Hi,

Sorry if this seems to be vague, but I'm really running out of ideas!

Since moving house, I've been unable to connect to my Freeserve Broadband
account. I've done (I think) pretty much everything Freeserve have asked...
changed my address/dial up number with them, connected through the main line
in the house, connected not using a filter, updated drivers to version 2.0
something or other... at the moment, Freeserve are arranging for a chap to
come from BT to sort it out!!!

I should point out that since moving, I've installed a new hard drive, so,
I've had to reinstall everything!!!

BUT...

When examining my Alcatel Speedtouch Settings, however, it claims to be the
ISDN channel, and, when looking at the settings properties of the
connections, it is set to a 64Kb Digital connection.

Am I right that the computer/modem is looking for an ISDN line, rather than
looking for the standard phone line that I am actually connected to?

If so, what can I do to change this so it will not look for ISDN line???

Thanks in advance,

Jon

Old August 24th 03, 11:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Akomic" wrote in message
Am I right that the computer/modem is looking for an ISDN line, rather

than
looking for the standard phone line that I am actually connected to?

No, thats normal...

Windows sees the Alcatel USB modem as an ISDN one (even though it is an
ADSL one)

Regards
Sunil

Old August 25th 03, 12:14 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

Since moving house, I've been unable to connect to my Freeserve Broadband
account. I've done (I think) pretty much everything Freeserve have asked...
changed my address/dial up number with them, connected through the main line
in the house, connected not using a filter, updated drivers to version 2.0
something or other... at the moment, Freeserve are arranging for a chap to
come from BT to sort it out!!!

What are the LEDs doing - does it look like it`s sync`ing properly ?

If it`s not sync`ing, ISTR the adsl led flashes 9 times green, then once
orange, otherwise it`ll be steady.

I should point out that since moving, I've installed a new hard drive, so,
I've had to reinstall everything!!!

I know that feeling, only the last HD I installed refuses to boot up as a
standalone drive for some reason, so i`m still booting from a slower 20Gb
drive, but I can access the partitions from there just fine.

Did you plug the modem in before you installed the drivers, as I believe
that can royally screw some systems up... Perhaps if you uninstall the
drivers, unplug the modem, reinstall again, then reboot / reconnect the
modem...

or you are likely to be spam filtered :-}
Old August 25th 03, 02:23 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kráftéé

Sunil Sood wrote:
"Akomic" wrote in message
Am I right that the computer/modem is looking for an ISDN line,
rather than looking for the standard phone line that I am actually
connected to?

No, thats normal...

Windows sees the Alcatel USB modem as an ISDN one (even though it
is an ADSL one)

Regards
Sunil

You did order DSL service for your new address, didn't you? AFASK you
can't shift it from one address to another you have to reorder...

--
B-)
Life is pain.....

Old August 25th 03, 02:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Akomic

"Kraftee" wrote in message
Sunil Sood wrote:
"Akomic" wrote in message
Am I right that the computer/modem is looking for an ISDN line,
rather than looking for the standard phone line that I am actually
connected to?

No, thats normal...

Windows sees the Alcatel USB modem as an ISDN one (even though it
is an ADSL one)

Regards
Sunil

You did order DSL service for your new address, didn't you? AFASK you
can't shift it from one address to another you have to reorder...

Yeah... I went through the proper procedures with Freeserve... that's not
the problem!!!

Old August 25th 03, 02:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Akomic

Did you plug the modem in before you installed the drivers, as I believe
that can royally screw some systems up... Perhaps if you uninstall the
drivers, unplug the modem, reinstall again, then reboot / reconnect the
modem...

No, I didn't... but, just for good measure, I've uninstalled/reinstalled the
drivers in the way you describe above...

Thanks anyway!

Jon

Old August 25th 03, 03:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

Did you plug the modem in before you installed the drivers, as I believe
that can royally screw some systems up... Perhaps if you uninstall the
drivers, unplug the modem, reinstall again, then reboot / reconnect the
modem...

No, I didn't... but, just for good measure, I've uninstalled/reinstalled the
drivers in the way you describe above...

Did I miss a reply to "is the modem sync`ing - what are the LEDs doing ?"

or you are likely to be spam filtered :-}
Old August 25th 03, 07:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Akomic

"Colin Wilson" wrote in message
t...
Did you plug the modem in before you installed the drivers, as I

believe
that can royally screw some systems up... Perhaps if you uninstall the
drivers, unplug the modem, reinstall again, then reboot / reconnect

the
modem...

No, I didn't... but, just for good measure, I've uninstalled/reinstalled

the
drivers in the way you describe above...

Did I miss a reply to "is the modem sync`ing - what are the LEDs doing ?"

Oops... no, I didn't reply to that bit!

The power light is constant green, but the adsl light flashes green with
occasional (not necessarily every 9 or 10) flashes red, once!

Freeserve reckon that is ok, and doesn't indicate a problem with the modem!

Old August 25th 03, 08:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kráftéé

Akomic wrote:
"Colin Wilson" wrote in message
t...
Did you plug the modem in before you installed the drivers, as I
believe that can royally screw some systems up... Perhaps if you
uninstall the drivers, unplug the modem, reinstall again, then
reboot / reconnect the modem...
No, I didn't... but, just for good measure, I've
uninstalled/reinstalled the drivers in the way you describe
above...

Did I miss a reply to "is the modem sync`ing - what are the LEDs
doing ?"

Oops... no, I didn't reply to that bit!

The power light is constant green, but the adsl light flashes green
with occasional (not necessarily every 9 or 10) flashes red, once!

Freeserve reckon that is ok, and doesn't indicate a problem with
the modem!

It means the modem isn't synching with the exchange, this is
deffinitely not ok.

Get back on the phone to your ISP & ask them to escalate it....

--
B-)
Life is pain.....

Old August 25th 03, 09:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

Did I miss a reply to "is the modem sync`ing - what are the LEDs
doing ?"

The power light is constant green, but the adsl light flashes green
with occasional (not necessarily every 9 or 10) flashes red, once!
Freeserve reckon that is ok, and doesn't indicate a problem with
the modem!

It means the modem isn't synching with the exchange, this is
deffinitely not ok.
Get back on the phone to your ISP & ask them to escalate it....

Agreed - that`s why I asked in the first place - you don`t have broadband
enabled on that line !

or you are likely to be spam filtered :-}