Pipex Broadband costs

Old August 24th 03, 11:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
[email protected]_linguistics.org.uk

Default Pipex Broadband costs

Hello,

Are there any hidden costs in Pipex's offering? It seems to me that
17.57 to set-up, with no charge for the modem, is too good to be true.

Any info? Thanks.

Old August 24th 03, 11:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
ferg

Hello,

Are there any hidden costs in Pipex's offering? It seems to me that
17.57 to set-up, with no charge for the modem, is too good to be true.

Any info? Thanks.

the solo2go package is confusing,on main page it says it is a 1 month
contract yet under FAQ it states its a 12 month contract
They need to make that clearer! pipex look good,and seem happy with
networking,

ferg

Old August 24th 03, 11:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
[email protected]_linguistics.org.uk

Call me stupid - I'm a newbie. :-)

Seems to me that BT's offering, where it appears you have to fork out
for the modem and a connection fee, is pretty poor by comparison. Given
that everyone I know is on it, though, what on earth is the attraction?

Sunil Sood wrote:
wrote in message

Are there any hidden costs in Pipex's offering? It seems to me that
17.57 to set-up, with no charge for the modem, is too good to be

true.

If you leave within the 1st year you have to pay a penalty but thats
about it..

Regards
Sunil

Old August 25th 03, 12:14 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

Call me stupid - I'm a newbie. :-)
Seems to me that BT's offering, where it appears you have to fork out
for the modem and a connection fee, is pretty poor by comparison. Given
that everyone I know is on it, though, what on earth is the attraction?

Newbies who haven`t heard that other people offer a better, cheaper
service.

or you are likely to be spam filtered :-}
Old August 25th 03, 12:18 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

Are there any hidden costs in Pipex's offering? It seems to me that
17.57 to set-up, with no charge for the modem, is too good to be true.

This may be just as applicable to other ISPs and USB modems, but some
motherboards aren`t entirely happy with certain types of USB modem.

I had a problem with mine (SiS chipset) where the line would drop under
heavy CPU load, and I would have to reboot before I could reconnect. I
think this is because a USB modem relies on the processing power of the
PC itself to do the donkeywork, and under heavy CPU load, it wasn`t
getting enough "attention" :-}

VIA chipsets are also known to have some problems, but give it a whirl
and see how you get on - I think with VIA it was a power related problem,
and some people have reported that a powered USB hub can help.

They need to make that clearer! pipex look good,and seem happy with
networking,

p2p I assume you mean ? - I have no problems on pipex :-)

or you are likely to be spam filtered :-}
Old August 25th 03, 09:30 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nick Pitfield

chris wrote in news:MPG.19b34d9c565ce355989a72
@news.claranews.com:

On Sun, 24 Aug 2003 23:28:43 +0100 and in article bibe5g$o4i$1
@newsg2.svr.pol.co.uk, said...
: Are there any hidden costs in Pipex's offering?

There's a disconnection fee of 58 if you cancel within 12 months.

That's true for most (all) the other ISPs that have an offer on free
connection/activation.

--

Regards.

Nick Pitfield )
Old August 25th 03, 10:51 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Morgan - 0870 432 9631

On Mon, 25 Aug 2003, Colin Wilson wrote:

or you are likely to be spam filtered :-}

If that means "ignored" then fine... I was unimpressed when sending to a
valid reply-to and getting an automated "f*** off spammer" message as well
as (later on) a thank you (it was in a different NG). Don't you just love
automated replies :-) Peter.
Old August 25th 03, 12:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

This may be just as applicable to other ISPs and USB modems, but some
motherboards aren`t entirely happy with certain types of USB modem.

But with Pipex, I thought that as well as the modem, a couple of filters
were included.

There are indeedy

Sure, the USB modem might be incompatible but overall, it seems a
reasonable deal, for the cash - even if one sells the modem unused
for 20 quid :-)

I`m still happy I took the plunge with them :-) (but I did end up buying
a cheap router within a couple of months - sadly, the deal I got (~45)
for a 4 port router / modem isn`t available any more)

If you want to make someone`s day too, someone who "refers" you can get a
month free if you sign up with Pipex.

or you are likely to be spam filtered :-}
Old August 25th 03, 12:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

or you are likely to be spam filtered :-}

If that means "ignored" then fine... I was unimpressed when sending to a
valid reply-to and getting an automated "f*** off spammer" message as well
as (later on) a thank you (it was in a different NG). Don't you just love
automated replies :-) Peter.

Nah, "newsgroup" in the subject will just mark the mail as valid for me
in mailwasher, rather than me missing potentially genuine posts among the
~200 spam mails I get per day

I don`t have an autoresponder :-p

or you are likely to be spam filtered :-}
Old August 25th 03, 02:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alec McKenzie

In article ,
" wrote:

Seems to me that BT's offering, where it appears you have to fork out
for the modem and a connection fee, is pretty poor by comparison. Given
that everyone I know is on it, though, what on earth is the attraction?

They just don't know any better.

I expect everyone you know uses a Wintel PC, too!

--
Alec McKenzie