Speed

Old August 24th 03, 10:19 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
ID: 29

Default Speed

"Kevin Sanigar" wrote in message
Hi,

Hope you can help... My Broadband it was as fast as I expected. Recently
it seems no faster than the old dial up. Two questions:

1) Any ideas as to why this might be?
2) Is there any way of actually measuring the speed of the connection?
e.g. something that says "Current speed = so many bps."
Thanks.

Kevin

1. Yes this is a well known problem. Apparently, your broadband connection
isn't syncronising properly because the time/date setting on your computer
is incorrectly set. The data being sent/received is hanging around on the
internet waiting until the dates match - hence lost packets.

2. There are many ways/places to measure your connection speed.
Unfortunately, again your time/date inaccuracy is causing your post here not
to be seen by others. Hopefully, by mid afternoon on Tuesday, your post will
be visible and then promptly answered.

Old August 25th 03, 01:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham in Melton

On 25/8/03 3:35 pm, in article ,
"Kevin Sanigar" wrote:

Hi,

Hope you can help... My Broadband it was as fast as I expected. Recently
it seems no faster than the old dial up. Two questions:

1) Any ideas as to why this might be?
2) Is there any way of actually measuring the speed of the connection?
e.g. something that says "Current speed = so many bps."
Thanks.

Kevin

Go to www.adslguide.org.uk and use their speed test system - you'll know
very quickly if there is a problem, and what better, your ISP gets the data
and will know if you are getting poor results.

They won't actually do anything directly, but their score will suffer and
that always helps.

I suspect that there isn't a problem as such, its just the webserver or
whatever is the bottleneck.

Old August 25th 03, 01:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham in Melton

On 25/8/03 3:35 pm, in article ,
"Kevin Sanigar" wrote:

Hi,

Hope you can help... My Broadband it was as fast as I expected. Recently
it seems no faster than the old dial up. Two questions:

1) Any ideas as to why this might be?
2) Is there any way of actually measuring the speed of the connection?
e.g. something that says "Current speed = so many bps."
Thanks.

Kevin

And if you're in the UK, correct the clock on your PC - your posting times
are well out. If not in the UK, ignore me !

Old August 25th 03, 01:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
James Mourby

And if you're in the UK, correct the clock on your PC - your posting times
are well out. If not in the UK, ignore me !

He is in the UK - BUT.... it doesnt matter if he was or not.

Old August 27th 03, 01:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Metronet Support

In article , Martin Cooper wrote:

"Kevin Sanigar" wrote:

To check the speed of your connection, try the ADSL guide speed test at
http://www.adslguide.org.uk/tools/speedtest.asp. This tests your
connection speed remotely. Many things can cause your connection to slow
down, what makes you think the connection is slowing down?

As an ISP tech guy I have to put in my protest about these ADSL speed tests.
Seriously guys, a JAVA applet which does 'something' for 30 seconds and then
tells you your speed, you have to be joking.

If 100 people are trying at one time to use the remote 'testing' tool and
they are all 512kbps (kilobits) connections that in my book says the remote
host has to be able to stream at least 6.5MBps (megabytes). Although this
may or may not be the case for ADSLGuide, I hope you can see my point.

If you are in the UK I would highly recommend you actually download something
from either just the other end of your ADSL connection and/or from a very
fast host which has (good as) unlimited bandwidth....such as JANET. You also
use FTP and you also make sure its a fast host; ftp.mirror.ac.uk comes to
mind, but I will give no specific links to prevent DDoS Please make the
file large (10Mbs on a 512kbps is a good size) and then start taking values
after a minute or two has passed. Debian ISOs are good, and whilst you are
at it you can put a "Real Man's OS" on your machine

The number of phone calls we used to get with people complaining how slow
their connection and their evidence was "because speedtest xyz said so" got
so annoying that we got them to saturate their link with a download from a
fast FTP server and low and behold the problems disappeared. We have even
written a script that streams traffic just from the other side of their ADSL
link (once it appears on our network) so that we can prove to them "no, you
are just downloading from a site which limits your download speed from it
and/or you cannot trust online 'speed' testers" (our pipe to the internet is
not even at 30% saturation at peak time and we are probably upgrading soon
too).

I would highly recommend you pester your ISP to write such scripts and you
all actually use fast 'unlimited' bandwidth FTP servers in the UK to test
your connections. If you really want to diagnose your connection then I
recommend learning to use Ethereal (http://ethereal.com/) and about TCP/IP
MTU/Recv Windows/etc/etc....

Just my 0.02.....

Regards

Alex -- annoyed by online speed 'testers', especially JAVA ones

--
Alexander Clouter
MetroNet Support http://www.metronet.co.uk/support/

Old August 27th 03, 03:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve

In article , (Metronet
Support) wrote:

In article , Martin
Cooper wrote:

"Kevin Sanigar" wrote:

[...]

169MB in 51 mins, or 56Kbps is what I managed, I'm quite happy with that.
That was the full Darwin package for my Mac OSX.

But hey, they are only meant to be a guide, the problem starts when they
are used for comparative purposes by the likes of ADSLGuide for people
choosing a prospective IAP :-(

Steve

Old August 28th 03, 09:31 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Thompson

On Mon, 25 Aug 2003 07:35:59 -0700, "Kevin Sanigar"
wrote:

Hope you can help... My Broadband it was as fast as I expected. Recently
it seems no faster than the old dial up. Two questions:

1) Any ideas as to why this might be?

Demon are suffering badly with virus / worm related issues, see
http://www.demon.net/helpdesk/status/status2.shtml

Phil