virgin.net ADSL running slow?

Old August 25th 03, 03:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
s7uar7

Default virgin.net ADSL running slow?

Are people still noticing this slow down with virgin.net ADSL, or is it just
me?

I've been with them from 8 months and until a couple of weeks ago I'd not
had any problems at all. For the last 2 weeks ago I've intermittently had
problems connecting, my connection has dropped (which it never used to do)
and at times it's running dog slow. They also seems to be having a problem
with DNS - a URL will just hang before loading, but if I refresh it goes
straight in. Virgin support say that it's because of MSBlast but sometimes
I get a quicker speed using a modem dial up to a different ISP.

Old September 3rd 03, 11:38 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kráftéé

s7uar7 wrote:
"Adrian" wrote in message
om...
Now this is interesting cause I've been with Virgin ADSL since June
and all was perfect until end of July when my ADSL sync started
dropping. Got to a point where it work work for 1-2 hours then
start dropping every 3-4 minutes.

BT were no help, checked the line, everything ok... Went out and
bought a new modem cause they said that could be the problem and
since then (last week) the only problem I've had is the PPP
connection dropping (the connection to Virgin, not ADSL).

Also heard from a mate who sells this stuff and he has just
transferred 2 of his customers AWAY from Virgin bacause of
consistent connection drops.

I'm currently considering changing ISP

A couple of days ago I started using the Pipex DNS servers rather
than the Virgin (NTL) ones. Hey presto, it's now running quicker
than it ever did, so either the DNS servers are fcuked or they're
throttled down to cope. The problem with the connection to Virgin
dropping (as opposed to the line) is still there, but it's
infrequent enough to put up with, maybe once every couple of days.

If Virgin are using the NTL DNS servers (well they do use the usenet
servers so it's possible) that will be your problem as NTL's are dire.

They're blaming it on the 'fallout' from MSBlast, but you can never be
sure about anything NTL claims...

--
B-)
Life is pain.....

Old September 6th 03, 05:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul Woodsford

Sorry, pressed wrong button, too many windows open.
I've been having similar problems.
How do you set up your system to use different DNS servers?

--
Paul Woodsford
Remove ****NOSPAMPLEASE**** to Reply
"Kraftee" wrote in message
[...]