Speedtouch 510 (V4) newbie problems

Old August 25th 03, 03:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Spud Gun

Default Speedtouch 510 (V4) newbie problems

Hi All,

I have recently acquired broadband in my house in Dublin and I have
also bought a Speedtouch 510 (V4) modem/router as I want my PC and
Xbox to be connected independently, and I want to be able to play Xbox
Live without turning the PC on. The Speedtouch was not provided by my
ISP (I envy you BT users), instead they provided me with a ZyXEL
Prestiege 630 USB modem and they only support that. I can get online
with the ZyXEL modem, but I am having problems getting the speedtouch
online. I am using WinXP Home and all the information for setting the
ZyXEL up was obtained from the installation CD provided with the
modem. All addresses are obtained automatically. The problems a

1) I am an eejit

2) I cannot connect to my routers web interface offline. I must be
online via the ZyXEL USB modem in order to access the speedtouch web
interface. So I obviously can never connect as the DSL cable is in the
wrong modem. What could be causing this? I feel point 1 has a part to
play here.

3) I cannot seem to set up the PPPoE connection that I need to. PPPoA
seems to be the default setting, but I need a PPPoE connection. The
light on the router flashes amber/green indication that the end to end
connection is pending. Would changes in the INI file need to be made
to connect via PPPoE?

4) I have the VPI, VCI, etc. settings from my ISP to get my connection
working, but I don't know how to enter them. As I don't have an INI
file supplied from my ISP, is there an INI file template or (better
still) an INI file generator that I can use to configure one?

I realise that point 1 may play a greater part than I would like it
to. But I have no support on this from my ISP and this has been
frustrating me for a couple of days now so any and all help would be
greatly appreciated.
Old August 26th 03, 10:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
foreverArsenal

Gun" wrote in message
om...
: Hi All,
:
:
: 1) I am an eejit
:
: 2) I cannot connect to my routers web interface offline. I must be
: online via the ZyXEL USB modem in order to access the speedtouch web
: interface. So I obviously can never connect as the DSL cable is in the
: wrong modem. What could be causing this? I feel point 1 has a part to
: play here.

Hi
Don't suppose this will help but woth a try,I had much the problem with a
sar110
could only get into sar's setup menu if I was connected via dial up
Once in menu I could see all was up and running I set up via dial up,all
live but could not get on
adsl line,pulled out hair in frustration,had set never dial a connection in
IE.
solution IE/file/remove tick in work off line,whole thing burst into
life.Ba****rd

--
Barry
If it ain't broke-don't fix it