Are you meant to be always connected with BB ?

Old August 26th 03, 10:59 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
amstereofan

Default Are you meant to be always connected with BB ?

I've noticed when I boot up it can take a few minutes for my connection to
become active before I can 'log on' Never more than 3 or 4 minutes but is
this normal ?

I feel guilty for being on some hours at a time even though the connection
may be idle and or I'm out etc! Is this OK / the done thing with BB ?
Definatly a no no with dial up

Old August 26th 03, 07:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Jones

I've noticed when I boot up it can take a few minutes for my connection
to become active before I can 'log on' Never more than 3 or 4 minutes
but is this normal ?

Yeah, it takes about that time for mine to connect up when I turn the
computer on.

I feel guilty for being on some hours at a time even though the
connection may be idle and or I'm out etc! Is this OK / the
done thing with BB ? Definatly a no no with dial up

The difference is that with dial-up, you are taking up a phone line all the
time you are connected. The ISP only has a fixed number of phone lines, so
it stops other people connecting.

With ADSL however, you have a permanent connection to the exchange, so it
doesn't make any difference how long you are connected for.

Old August 28th 03, 03:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Richard Tobin

In article ,
Nick Yarrow wrote:

I can take up to about 15 minutes sometimes to sync, but then I have
reasoned that the cause is I am using a USB modem and have been using
the computer for something else at the same time, while waiting.

Syncing does not require any activity from the computer with any of
the modems I have used. With the Alcatel frog it just sends a command
to the modem and waits for it to respond.

When I used an frog it often took a couple of minutes. Just a poor
modem I think.

-- Richard

FreeBSD rules!
Old August 29th 03, 07:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul Woodsford

30 secs or less here to sync and register with Virgin.This is done after a
reboot otherwise the PC and connection are alive 23hrs and 55mins every day.
"Richard Tobin" wrote in message

--
Spam filter: to mail me from a .com/.net site, put my surname in the

headers.

FreeBSD rules!

---

Old August 30th 03, 10:02 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
NPG Plymouth UK

30 secs or less here to sync and register with Virgin.This is done after a
reboot otherwise the PC and connection are alive 23hrs and 55mins every day.

typical innit, i thought i'd sit there with my watch timer and just see how
long it takes to sync up. windows boots up, look down to push the button, look
up and its sync'ed !!
must be a problem with my line, sometimes it takes ages.