Which Router for NTL Cable

Old August 26th 03, 05:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PJB

Default Which Router for NTL Cable

"Les Desser" ] wrote in message
I have a friend at the moment using NTL cable with a USB

modem and would
like him to install a proper router.

I use a Netgear DG814 on a BT line, and believe that this

will not work
for the NTL connection. Can anyone recommend a suitable

router -
preferably in the Netgear family if possible.

Virtually any DSL router that has RJ45 for both WAN & LAN
connections. Personally, I use the Netgear FVS318, a tad
more expensive than some..
If it's not labeled as ADSL, you *should* be ok ;-)

P.

Old August 26th 03, 09:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Les Desser

In article , PJB
writes

"Les Desser" ] wrote in message
I have a friend at the moment using NTL cable with a USB

modem and would
like him to install a proper router.

I use a Netgear DG814 on a BT line, and believe that this

will not work
for the NTL connection. Can anyone recommend a suitable

router -
preferably in the Netgear family if possible.

Virtually any DSL router that has RJ45 for both WAN & LAN
connections. Personally, I use the Netgear FVS318, a tad
more expensive than some..
If it's not labeled as ADSL, you *should* be ok ;-)

Thanks. Will that connect direct to the NTL socket or do I still need
some sort of modem?
--
Les Desser
Old August 27th 03, 11:30 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kráftéé

PJB wrote:
"Les Desser" ] wrote in message
In article , PJB
writes

Virtually any DSL router that has RJ45 for both WAN & LAN
connections. Personally, I use the Netgear FVS318, a tad
more expensive than some..
If it's not labeled as ADSL, you *should* be ok ;-)

Thanks. Will that connect direct to the NTL socket or do I still
need some sort of modem?

You'll still need to use the NTL modem supplied to him.
Check that it has a suitable RJ45 connexion to connect to
the planned router, if it only has USB, then you'll need a
converter as suggested by someone else.

& pray tell us all how you will be able use a USB to ethernet
converter when the USB is plugged into the Cable modem??

Just because there are such things it doesn't hold true that you can
use them everywhere (in both directions) as my friend found out when
they were sold a printer with only usb & had a PC without it. They
were sold a USB to LPT converter & told that it would work, it didn't
of course.

Little hint, with any USB to ethernet/LPT/comms converters the USB has
to be plugged into the computer!!!!!

--
B-)
Life is pain.....

Old August 27th 03, 02:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Les Desser

In article , PJB
writes

"Les Desser" ] wrote in message
In article , PJB
writes

Virtually any DSL router that has RJ45 for both WAN & LAN
connections. Personally, I use the Netgear FVS318, a tad
more expensive than some..
If it's not labeled as ADSL, you *should* be ok ;-)

Thanks. Will that connect direct to the NTL socket or do I

still need
some sort of modem?

You'll still need to use the NTL modem supplied to him.
Check that it has a suitable RJ45 connexion to connect to
the planned router, if it only has USB, then you'll need a
converter as suggested by someone else.

Thanks - all is now clear.
--
Les Desser
Old August 28th 03, 12:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Rogers

Kraftee wrote:
Little hint, with any USB to ethernet/LPT/comms converters
the USB has to be plugged into the computer!!!!!

Whilst generally true, this isn't alyways the case, eg:

http://www.dlink.co.uk/1918.htm

(Not tried one, probably will one day, though.)

It wouldn't help with the OP's question, of-course.
--
Mark Rogers,
More Solutions Ltd

Old August 28th 03, 02:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kráftéé

Mark Rogers wrote:
Kraftee wrote:
Little hint, with any USB to ethernet/LPT/comms converters
the USB has to be plugged into the computer!!!!!

Whilst generally true, this isn't alyways the case, eg:

http://www.dlink.co.uk/1918.htm

(Not tried one, probably will one day, though.)

It wouldn't help with the OP's question, of-course.

Doesn't meet the criteria, we were talking about converters not
servers which are a whole different ball game

--
B-)
Life is pain.....