Which Router for NTL Cable

Old August 26th 03, 06:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jock Mackirdy

Default Which Router for NTL Cable

In article , Les Desser wrote:
I have a friend at the moment using NTL cable with a USB modem and would
like him to install a proper router.

I use a Netgear DG814 on a BT line, and believe that this will not work
for the NTL connection. Can anyone recommend a suitable router -
preferably in the Netgear family if possible.

I use a Belkin 4-port cable/DSL router which was a breeze to install. He
will need to change to using the Ethernet port on the modem. I bought USB
to Ethernet converters (by D-Link) to avoid opening up the PCs.

The instructions for the Belkin router assume no prior knowledge and I
found it very straightforward.

--

Jock Mackirdy
Bedford

Old August 26th 03, 10:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Les Desser

In article , Jock Mackirdy
writes
In article , Les Desser wrote:
I have a friend at the moment using NTL cable with a USB modem and would
like him to install a proper router.

I use a Netgear DG814 on a BT line, and believe that this will not work
for the NTL connection. Can anyone recommend a suitable router -
preferably in the Netgear family if possible.

I use a Belkin 4-port cable/DSL router which was a breeze to install. He
will need to change to using the Ethernet port on the modem. I bought USB
to Ethernet converters (by D-Link) to avoid opening up the PCs.

Thanks. I have not seen his physical setup - I presume the existing USB
modem was supplied by NTL. Would that have an Ethernet port as well as
the USB connector? I think he already has a network card.

Old August 27th 03, 11:26 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kráftéé

Les Desser wrote:
In article , Jock Mackirdy
writes
In article , Les Desser wrote:
I have a friend at the moment using NTL cable with a USB modem
and would like him to install a proper router.

I use a Netgear DG814 on a BT line, and believe that this will
not work for the NTL connection. Can anyone recommend a suitable
router - preferably in the Netgear family if possible.

I use a Belkin 4-port cable/DSL router which was a breeze to
install. He will need to change to using the Ethernet port on the
modem. I bought USB to Ethernet converters (by D-Link) to avoid
opening up the PCs.

Thanks. I have not seen his physical setup - I presume the existing
USB modem was supplied by NTL. Would that have an Ethernet port as
well as the USB connector? I think he already has a network card.

Up to this time all NTL modems have had a ethernet connection, only
comparatively recently have they also had USB. So yes your friend's
will have a ethernet port....
--
B-)
Life is pain.....

Old August 27th 03, 02:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Les Desser

In article , Kraftee
writes
Les Desser wrote:
In article , Jock Mackirdy
writes
In article , Les Desser wrote:
[...]

Thanks - I will get him to have a peek at the article.
--
Les Desser