Router,ADSL modem, firewall and 54g wireless all in one.

Old August 26th 03, 08:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian McNeill

Default Router,ADSL modem, firewall and 54g wireless all in one.

Hi there,

Title says if all really, I can't seem to find a one box solution that
has g wireless as well as a router and ADSL modem. Can anyone point me
in the direction of some.

Regards

Ian
Old August 26th 03, 09:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roderick Stewart

In article , Ian McNeill
wrote:
Title says if all really, I can't seem to find a one box solution that
has g wireless as well as a router and ADSL modem. Can anyone point me
in the direction of some.

I have seen hints of a possible addition to the Draytek range, but no
definite details yet. It's the logical thing for them (or any ADSL modem
manufacturer) to produce next, so not really surprising. It'll probably
be called the 2600Wg. Has the 802.11g standard been made official yet?
Maybe they're waiting for that?

Rod.

Old August 26th 03, 09:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul H

be called the 2600Wg. Has the 802.11g standard been made official yet?
Maybe they're waiting for that?

Rod.

It has but no one is offering the combo box in the UK yet. There are some
US models so a Europe version should logically follow. However there are no
dates for a suitable release that I've come across.
Odd really as there are a lot of customers waiting out there....

Old August 26th 03, 10:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Hamman

"Roderick Stewart" wrote in message
In article , Ian McNeill
wrote:
Title says if all really, I can't seem to find a one box solution that
has g wireless as well as a router and ADSL modem. Can anyone point me
in the direction of some.

I have seen hints of a possible addition to the Draytek range, but no
definite details yet. It's the logical thing for them (or any ADSL modem
manufacturer) to produce next, so not really surprising. It'll probably
be called the 2600Wg. Has the 802.11g standard been made official yet?
Maybe they're waiting for that?

Rod.

The 802.11g standard is now official, it was finalised about a month ago

Old August 27th 03, 01:06 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian McNeill

Ok, It appears that I han't missed something, and in fact there isn't a
ADSL modem,Router,firewall and 54g wireless all-in-one-box. I notice
there are a few all-in-one boxes just missing the ADSL modem. If I buy
one of these, am I likely to get inter-operational problems unless I buy
the same companies seperate ADSL modem.

At the moment I have ordered a wires only ADSL. So I dont' have any kit
at all. I want a wireless setup as I'll be operating 2 computers, and
want 54g as I think it'll be useful for swapping files between the PCs.
Currently the PCs are not networked at all.

So if I have to buy a separate ADSL modem to go with a 54g
WAP/Router/firewall, whats the best combination to go with, or is there
a website thats covered this before (adslguide.org.uk doesn't seem to
cover this issue).

Regards

Ian

Old August 27th 03, 08:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roderick Stewart

In article , Ian McNeill
wrote:
Ok, It appears that I han't missed something, and in fact there isn't a
ADSL modem,Router,firewall and 54g wireless all-in-one-box. I notice
there are a few all-in-one boxes just missing the ADSL modem. If I buy
one of these, am I likely to get inter-operational problems unless I buy
the same companies seperate ADSL modem.

I'd suggest a more practical way of splitting the functions would be to
get the wireless unit as a separate box, and everything else in one. The
best physical location for a wireless link won't necessarily coincide with
the best position for the cabling to the rest of your network from the
hub. A separate wireless unit can be fed with one network cable, so you
can experiment with its positioning if necessary. Also, you may be able to
start without wireless and decide later whether you really want it.

Rod.

Old August 31st 03, 08:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul King

"Ian McNeill" wrote in message
Ok, It appears that I han't missed something, and in fact there isn't a
ADSL modem,Router,firewall and 54g wireless all-in-one-box. I notice
there are a few all-in-one boxes just missing the ADSL modem. If I buy
one of these, am I likely to get inter-operational problems unless I buy
the same companies seperate ADSL modem.

At the moment I have ordered a wires only ADSL. So I dont' have any kit
at all. I want a wireless setup as I'll be operating 2 computers, and
want 54g as I think it'll be useful for swapping files between the PCs.
Currently the PCs are not networked at all.

So if I have to buy a separate ADSL modem to go with a 54g
WAP/Router/firewall, whats the best combination to go with, or is there
a website thats covered this before (adslguide.org.uk doesn't seem to
cover this issue).

I've just done all of this. I bought a D-Link DSL-300G+ ADSL Ethernet modem,
D-Link DI-624 2.4G Wireless Router with 4 LAN ports, and two D-Link DWL-G520
PCI Wireless Adapters from DSL-Warehouse
http://www.dsl-warehouse.co.uk/produ...INKGCOMBO&pm=0
I've now got 6 'puters all humming nicely! 4 on the LAN ports and 2
wirelessly, one of which is in my workshop at the bottom of the garden over
80 feet away! It all worked together "out of the box"

HTH
Paul

---