How much eletricity does a modern pc use 24/7 ?

Old August 26th 03, 10:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
amstereofan

Default How much eletricity does a modern pc use 24/7 ?

Can't be much but are we talking approx a 1 a day or somewhat less with
monitor off half the time say ?

Old August 26th 03, 10:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
amstereofan

Sorry OT: I meant to add :-)

Old August 26th 03, 10:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

Can't be much but are we talking approx a 1 a day or somewhat less with
monitor off half the time say ?

You`d really need to figure out what the current draw is, but if you
assume a 300W power supply that isn`t going full pelt, lets say 240W for
ease of measurement, that`s 240W/240V=1A (note nominal voltage is now
230V, but you will find the limits are 230V +10%/-6% and are often
towards the high end - less transport losses for the supply company that
way)

1A for 1 hours = 1 unit of electricity, which is ~8p, so...

24*8p = 1.92

*plus* the juice the monitor uses while in use (often 80 to 100W)

Damn, and I run 2 of the feckers 24/7 - I might have to have a rethink on
that, but I factor in the failure rate of hardware when powering up,
especially that of HDs...

or you are likely to be spam filtered :-}

Old August 26th 03, 10:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mike @ www.lefkada-homes.com

Colin Wilson wrote:

Can't be much but are we talking approx a 1 a day or somewhat less with
monitor off half the time say ?

1A for 1 hours = 1 unit of electricity, which is ~8p, so...

Eh ?

1 unit of electricity is 1,000 watts for one hour (1 KWh).

--

Mike @ www.lefkada-homes.com
Old August 26th 03, 10:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Richard Platt

On Tue, 26 Aug 2003 22:30:43 +0100, Colin Wilson
wrote:

Can't be much but are we talking approx a 1 a day or somewhat less with
monitor off half the time say ?

You`d really need to figure out what the current draw is, but if you
assume a 300W power supply that isn`t going full pelt, lets say 240W for
ease of measurement, that`s 240W/240V=1A (note nominal voltage is now
230V, but you will find the limits are 230V +10%/-6% and are often
towards the high end - less transport losses for the supply company that
way)

1A for 1 hours = 1 unit of electricity, which is ~8p, so...

Surely not... 1A for 1 hour at 240V is 0.24kWhours. And 1kWh is around
5-6p. So that's closer to 1.5p an hour, 36 pence a day or a tenner a
month or so. Also, I'd be surprised if a PC actually used that much
power continuously, but then I haven't actually measured it.
--
Richard Platt
Old August 26th 03, 10:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiny Tim

amstereofan wrote:
Sounds more than I thought, how much less energy does a TFT run ?

I don't know about an individual TFT display but my whole laptop is only
rated at 70W (marked on the laptop and the PSU) and that includes....

15" 1600*1200 TFT
Pentium III 900
nVidia Geforce2go 32MB
512MB
30GB 5,400 rpm
CD-RW
DVD-ROM
Builtin speakers
2 fans

Old August 26th 03, 10:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiny Tim

Mike @ www.lefkada-homes.com wrote:
Colin Wilson wrote:

Can't be much but are we talking approx a 1 a day or somewhat less
with monitor off half the time say ?

1A for 1 hours = 1 unit of electricity, which is ~8p, so...

Eh ?

1 unit of electricity is 1,000 watts for one hour (1 KWh).

With my supplier, Amerada, 1kWh is 6p including VAT.

If PC/monitor use 333W continuously averaged over 24 hrs that's 8 kWh = 48p
per day.

If PC/monitor use 500W continuously averaged over 24 hrs that's 12 kWh = 72p
per day.

(If I've got my maths right)

Old August 26th 03, 10:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Tue, 26 Aug 2003 21:30:43 UTC, Colin Wilson
wrote:

(let me first say that I wish this had been posted to an on-topic group,
as perhap some of these errors would not be posted). On-topic is GOOD,
for more than one reason...

Can't be much but are we talking approx a 1 a day or somewhat less with
monitor off half the time say ?

You`d really need to figure out what the current draw is, but if you
assume a 300W power supply that isn`t going full pelt, lets say 240W for
ease of measurement

Hmm....and that's 100% efficient...! However, I run 3 PCs and 2 monitors
and my 1000W UPS says it's about 30% loaded, so I'd say you're looking
at more like 150-200W.

, that`s 240W/240V=1A (note nominal voltage is now
230V, but you will find the limits are 230V +10%/-6% and are often
towards the high end - less transport losses for the supply company that
way)

1A for 1 hours = 1 unit of electricity, which is ~8p, so...

Oh no it isn't. one kilowatt for one hour equals one unit. Forget abiut
volts and amps here...

So with your estimate, about 4 hours uses one unit (1000/250 = 4). I
actually reckon it's more like 200W and five hours. Say a unit is 8p,
then that's about 38p a day.

*plus* the juice the monitor uses while in use (often 80 to 100W)

OK, but I would hope the monitor isn't on 24/7. It's the most likely
point of failure, the one thing that doesn't suffer much from power
cycling, and the biggest fire risk. So it should only be on when you're
using it.

Assume a fairly sad user who sits in front of their PC for 8 hours a
day, with 100W consumption. That's 0.8 KWh, or 0.8 units a day. Another
6.4 pence.

So, about 45p a day including a monitor on for about 8 hours a day.

These are all really approximate figures, of course.

Damn, and I run 2 of the feckers 24/7 - I might have to have a rethink on
that, but I factor in the failure rate of hardware when powering up,
especially that of HDs...

Not the monitors, though....factor in the rebuilding cost for the house
aftre a fire instead!

--
Bob Eager
rde at tavi.co.uk
PC Server 325*4; PS/2s 9585, 8595, 9595*2, 8580*3,
P70...

Old August 26th 03, 11:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
nick

Colin Wilson wrote:

Can't be much but are we talking approx a 1 a day or somewhat less
with monitor off half the time say ?

1A for 1 hours = 1 unit of electricity, which is ~8p, so...

Eh ?

1 unit of electricity is 1,000 watts for one hour (1 KWh).

With my supplier, Amerada, 1kWh is 6p including VAT.

If PC/monitor use 333W continuously averaged over 24 hrs that's 8 kWh = 48p
per day.

If PC/monitor use 500W continuously averaged over 24 hrs that's 12 kWh = 72p
per day.

(If I've got my maths right)

17" monitor is 100-160w, pc is 80-400w (always on).

so min/max 180/560 4.32/13.44kWh
= 26/80p per day
=94 /294

more than you think. my pc wont even boot with less than 250watts.