Bulldog Broadband

Old August 27th 03, 12:18 AM posted to uk.media.broadband,uk.telecom.broadband
Dave McMahon

Default Bulldog Broadband

Just seen the Bulldog Web site claiming to offer 2mbs for £30 month seems
good the service is only 2mbs for 6pm-8am then reverts to 512kbs

only problem is the need for separate connection charge (£58.74), modem
(£41.17), filter(£9.39), email (£2.93)

only heard one complaint on www.broadband-help.com

Has anyone signed up? is it any good? speed reliability etc??
If Bulldog is crap can anyone recommend a good ISP?
also do you think any other companies will match this? how is the market
going?

Any comments welcome.

Many thanks
Dave

Old August 27th 03, 12:37 AM posted to uk.media.broadband,uk.telecom.broadband
Dave McMahon

Thanks for quick answer apparently 450 exchanges in the uk now covered
including Chelmsford (my location)

Old August 27th 03, 12:44 AM posted to uk.media.broadband,uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Dave McMahon" wrote in message
Just seen the Bulldog Web site claiming to offer 2mbs for £30 month

seems
good the service is only 2mbs for 6pm-8am then reverts to 512kbs

only problem is the need for separate connection charge (£58.74),

modem
(£41.17), filter(£9.39), email (£2.93)

You don't need to buy the modem/filter or email services from Bulldog -
there will be cheaper alternatives out there for all 3.

only heard one complaint on www.broadband-help.com

Has anyone signed up? is it any good? speed reliability etc??

Read the forums at
http://bbs.adslguide.org.uk/postlist...&Board=bulldog

That has a lot more Bulldog users on it.

Generally speaking, their customers used to be very happy with the
service but for the last month or so have been having "speed issues"

However, Bulldog seem to have completed some network upgrades today so
the position seems to have improved (but read the board and you will see
what I mean)

Also, there is/was an issue of some users on 2MB lines only getting a
max of 1.7MB - see the above forum and
http://www.adslguide.org.uk/newsarchive.asp?item=1256 for details.

Would be interested in what you decide..

Regards
Sunil

Old August 27th 03, 12:57 AM posted to uk.media.broadband,uk.telecom.broadband
Twinkletoes

"Dave McMahon" wrote in message
| Thanks for quick answer apparently 450 exchanges in the uk now covered
| including Chelmsford (my location)

Minimum 12 month contract... I'd be very scared over this.

Steve

Old August 27th 03, 03:58 PM posted to uk.media.broadband,uk.telecom.broadband
Zipper

Dave McMahon wrote:
Just seen the Bulldog Web site claiming to offer 2mbs for £30 month
seems good the service is only 2mbs for 6pm-8am then reverts to 512kbs

only problem is the need for separate connection charge (£58.74),
modem (£41.17), filter(£9.39), email (£2.93)

only heard one complaint on www.broadband-help.com

Has anyone signed up? is it any good? speed reliability etc??
If Bulldog is crap can anyone recommend a good ISP?
also do you think any other companies will match this? how is the
market going?

Any comments welcome.

Many thanks
Dave

I thought about using them but resigned to Pipex instead as Bulldog don't
currently offer newsgroups. When you add in the £7ish a month to join a new
service it didn't look quite so appealing. Although the sales agent for
Bulldog did say they are considering offering newgroups in the near future.

g'luck

Old August 27th 03, 05:28 PM posted to uk.media.broadband,uk.telecom.broadband
ferg

" Has anyone signed up? is it any good? speed reliability etc??
If Bulldog is crap can anyone recommend a good ISP?
also do you think any other companies will match this? how is the
market going?

Any comments welcome.

Many thanks
Dave

emailed them along with pipex and nildram 5 days ago for pre sales info

only one to reply so far was freeserve within 6 hours,so like pipex they
seem very email shy

ferg

Old August 28th 03, 02:56 AM posted to uk.media.broadband,uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"chris" wrote in message
On Tue, 26 Aug 2003 23:44:57 +0100 and in article [email protected]
20959.news.uni-berlin.de, Sunil Sood said...
: Would be interested in what you decide..
:
He'll probably be online before you m8 :-))

huh - I read that!

Though if anyone does plan to join Bulldog, feel free to mention my
referal code: bdol87431 if ordering by telephone or online.

I'm afraid you don't get anything but with luck I might

Regards
Sunil

Old August 29th 03, 03:53 AM posted to uk.media.broadband,uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew Jones

"Dave McMahon" wrote in message
Just seen the Bulldog Web site claiming to offer 2mbs for £30 month seems
good the service is only 2mbs for 6pm-8am then reverts to 512kbs

Has anyone signed up? is it any good? speed reliability etc??
If Bulldog is crap can anyone recommend a good ISP?
also do you think any other companies will match this? how is the market
going?

Any comments welcome.

Hi Dave,
I signed up with Bulldog over a month ago. I had to cancel my BT Openworld
service before they could confirm whether I was able to have the 2mpbs
service though, bit of a gamble but I decided to risk it. I was suspicious
that it might be just a marketing ploy to get folks to cancel wth their
current isp and force them to go with Bulldog 512, seeing as other ISP's
were saying that my exchange couldn't handle 1or 2 mpbs yet.
So I cancelled with BTO and got a Cease Date, let Bulldog know the Cease
Date and sat back and waited. Bulldog never called me back, I kept ringing
them but they never answer the phone. Eventually I got through to them and
was told "Oh, it's bad news I'm afraid"
They said my phone line failed the line test (*gasp* what a surprise!)
So we can't have the 2mbit line for £25 per month. We can't have the 1mbit
line (also £25) either.
But . . . we CAN have the ½mbit line for £20 per month.
And they were supposed to connect us today or tomorrow BUT now they can't do
it until Weds next week.
I told them to refund my money. i wish I had never bothered now.
I've signed with Pipex (512) and am awaiting a connection date etc etc. dial
up is killing me

I hope you have better luck, keep us posted

Old August 29th 03, 08:11 AM posted to uk.media.broadband,uk.telecom.broadband
Phil

On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 14:58:48 +0100, "Zipper"
oocom wrote:

as Bulldog don't
currently offer newsgroups.

Don't let that bother you. Many ISPs have a lousy newsfeed anyway. But
I can recommend the excellent free service from
http://www.teranews.com/.

You pay a one off sign-up fee of $3.50 - that's all! This is supposed
to ensure you are of an age to own a credit card! I've been with them
for 18 months and am *very* satisfied.

Phil
Old August 29th 03, 03:07 PM posted to uk.media.broadband,uk.telecom.broadband
ferg

I'm supposed to be getting the 2meg link from bulldog next week. I took

the
precaution of getting the order on the other line in the house just in

case
it all goes Pete Tongue. That way I still have my current broadband on my
line still active for the duration.

--
RCE Defiant

very smart thinking that man!,although i still wouldnt risk

bulldog,support is practically non existent
and their marketing methods are a little underhand

ferg