Taking the plunge

Old August 26th 03, 11:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mike

Default Taking the plunge

Hi,
After making do with Home Highway for a few years now, I've decided to
combine moving home with shifting over to Broadband connection. I've done
the BT postal code check on their website and my new property will allow me
512kbs which is acceptable to me. Now, the last time I checked out the
Broadband option I was absolutely baffled by BT and that was the main reason
I didn't go ahead. Basically, they couldn't give me an answer as to who
would be supplying my service or what, if any, alternatives were available.
So, at the risk of sounding very primitive and getting flamed to hell in
here, would somebody be able to explain what are the best options for a
reliable Broadband connection? What issues should I consider and are there
any common pitfalls to avoid? I don't mind paying an extra few quid for a
good service.
I don't currently have cable as I have been a Sky subscriber but I would
consider switching over if cable is the best way to go for my high-speed
Internet access - although I seem to remember that the last time I checked,
everybody was telling me not to go down this route.
Thanks in advance for any help.

Old August 27th 03, 07:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Mike" wrote in message
Now, the last time I checked out the
Broadband option I was absolutely baffled by BT and that was the main

reason
I didn't go ahead. Basically, they couldn't give me an answer as to

who
would be supplying my service or what, if any, alternatives were

available.
So, at the risk of sounding very primitive and getting flamed to hell

in
here, would somebody be able to explain what are the best options for

reliable Broadband connection? What issues should I consider and are

there
any common pitfalls to avoid? I don't mind paying an extra few quid

for a
good service.

You order ADSL via an ISP who deals with BT.

BT arrange for the service to be activated on your line and your ISP
will give you the login details that you need to access their service.

For ADSL you don't deal direct with BT at all (unless you are using a BT
ISP, either BT Openworld or BT Broadband).

Your ISP will bill you for the ADSL service and pay some of that to BT
(again you don't need to worry about that)

You would still pay BT for your normal (non ADSL) line rental and any
voice calls you make via their normal bill.

You can choose to apply for any speed service you like (512K/1MB/2MB) -
once ordered BT will carry out a proper test and see if you pass (the
checker is just guessing)

To help you choose an ISP I suggest you read
http://www.adslguide.org.uk/ and their forums..

Regards
Sunil

Old August 27th 03, 10:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kráftéé

Sunil Sood wrote:
"Mike" wrote in message
[...]

Sorry Sunil but you are wrong here as BT Openworld is a completely
different trading organisation (if you don't believe me try dialing
150 & ask about broadband, you will only get through to BT Broadband,
never BT Openworld). It's one of the most prevenlant misconceptions
there is in this whole field of DSL but the only BT supplied broadband
(to the end user that is) is BT Broadband.

Confused, don't worry so is most of the general public & a lot of the
people in BT as well...

--
B-)
Life is pain.....

Old August 27th 03, 10:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
len Hickman

Martin Cooper was kind enough to write these words of
wisdom:

Again a USB
modem is also best suited to a single computer, but if you have old

hardware
or if you have a VIA chipset, then you may have problems. The usual cause
of these problems is excessive power consum,ption by the USB modem

resulting
in instability.

I have a VIA chipset & USB ADSL modem running off a powered hub with no
trouble ( must get round to trying it direct from the computer to see if I
get trouble)

ISP's to avoid are AOL and anything sold by BT.

Agreed

I've been with Plus-net for about a month and find them very helpfull.
I used their Contact Us ticket system for a couple of queries with swift
and positive results.
Prior to ordering from them I e-mailed several long winded questions and got
a reply answering each point with 24 hrs.

Len

FS2002 AI Traffic for non-AI airports
FS SoundScape files for UK airfields
FSTraffic Tracks
for England,Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, Republic of Ireland,
Venezuela,
USA(1) & Denmark(1) FS2004 coverage available here

www.lenshanger.co.uk

ALL e-mail sent to the address of this post will be
AUTO DELETED

Old August 27th 03, 10:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Kraftee" wrote in message
For ADSL you don't deal direct with BT at all (unless you are using
a BT ISP, either BT Openworld or BT Broadband).

Sorry Sunil but you are wrong here as BT Openworld is a completely
different trading organisation (if you don't believe me try dialing
150 & ask about broadband, you will only get through to BT Broadband,
never BT Openworld). It's one of the most prevenlant misconceptions
there is in this whole field of DSL but the only BT supplied broadband
(to the end user that is) is BT Broadband.

Well yes and no

150 will only put you through to BT Broadband as that is the product
sold by BT Retail.

BT Openworld ADSL is also sold by BT - but by BT Internet/Openworld
which operates as a separate company "at arms length" from the rest due
to OFTEL but is still "BT" as far as most people are concerned..

The last I heard BT Openworld was going to be folded into BT Retail
officially as well...

Regards
Sunil

Old August 27th 03, 10:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kráftéé

Sunil Sood wrote:
"Kraftee" wrote in message
[...]

I've heard that rumour ever since it was set up, due to the confusion
about names etc. Only problem is that BT directly offer a broadband
product already (as you already know) so which one is going to have to
give...

--
B-)
Life is pain.....

Old August 27th 03, 10:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
BRG

"Kraftee" wrote in
:

It's one of the
most prevenlant misconceptions there is in this whole field of
DSL but the only BT supplied broadband (to the end user that is)
is BT Broadband.

This site doesn't support that assertion:
http://www.btopenworld.com/broadband...lash1_noss.htm

Confused, don't worry so is most of the general public & a lot
of the people in BT as well...

No change there then. :-)

--
BRG
===
Old August 27th 03, 10:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Kráftéé

BRG wrote:
"Kraftee" wrote in
:

It's one of the
most prevenlant misconceptions there is in this whole field of
DSL but the only BT supplied broadband (to the end user that is)
is BT Broadband.

This site doesn't support that assertion:
http://www.btopenworld.com/broadband...lash1_noss.htm

Sorry page cannot be found, well that certainly clarifies something
for someone but not for me....

Old August 27th 03, 11:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Kraftee" wrote in message
Sunil Sood wrote:
The last I heard BT Openworld was going to be folded into BT Retail
officially as well...

I've heard that rumour ever since it was set up, due to the confusion
about names etc. Only problem is that BT directly offer a broadband
product already (as you already know) so which one is going to have to
give...

"With effect from January 1, 2003 the operations of BT Openworld have
been transferred under the management control of BT Retail."

from
http://www.btplc.com/Mediacentre/Arc...403release.htm

and

"With effect from January 1, 2003, BT Openworld is under the management
responsibility of BT Retail and will report its results as part of BT
Retail. This decision reflects the maturity of BT Openworld's services
and will allow the realisation of synergies, particularly in
administration and back-office costs."

from
http://www.btplc.com/Mediacentre/Arc...303release.htm

Regards
Sunil

Old August 27th 03, 11:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Cooper

"Kraftee" wrote:

BRG wrote:
"Kraftee" wrote in
:

It's one of the
most prevenlant misconceptions there is in this whole field of
DSL but the only BT supplied broadband (to the end user that is)
is BT Broadband.

This site doesn't support that assertion:
http://www.btopenworld.com/broadband...lash1_noss.htm

Sorry page cannot be found, well that certainly clarifies something
for someone but not for me....

that's cos the URL has wrapped. Add the missing 'l' to the end and it will
work.

--

Martin