Pipex Outage

Old September 8th 03, 12:49 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul King

Default Pipex Outage

Anyone (with an ADSL PIPEX connection) noticed whether they were unable to
connect from (at least) 19:00 (could have been earlier but I wasn't at
home) to 21:00 Sunday 7th Sep 2003? It all suddenly started up again, PIPEX
have gone home for the weekend, and as you can see from this message, I'm
back on again!!

---

Old September 8th 03, 02:57 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,pipex.xtreme.support
Paul King

"Paul King" wrote in message
.. .
Anyone (with an ADSL PIPEX connection) noticed whether they were unable to
connect from (at least) 19:00 (could have been earlier but I wasn't at
home) to 21:00 Sunday 7th Sep 2003? It all suddenly started up again,

PIPEX
have gone home for the weekend, and as you can see from this message, I'm
back on again!!

---

crossposted to pipex support group

---

Old September 8th 03, 08:34 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,pipex.xtreme.support
Elizabeth Blunt

I had great problems on Friday, and in the evening the connection was
working again, but things seemed to be hurling themselves against my
firewall at the rate of one a second. I've no idea what was going on.
I'm currently away from home (and my pipex connection) and am using a
Beebnet dialup, which has been ok but even that seemed to be having
unusual wobbly moments. Perhaps something wider than Pipex has been
wrong in the last few days

On Mon, 8 Sep 2003 01:57:07 +0100, "Paul King"
wrote:

. ..

Old September 8th 03, 05:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,pipex.xtreme.support
Tony Morgan

In message , Mark Carver
writes
Elizabeth Blunt wrote:
I had great problems on Friday, and in the evening the connection was
working again, but things seemed to be hurling themselves against my
firewall at the rate of one a second.

A friend on Pipex noticed this yesterday (Sun 7th afternoon) Port 135 was
being attacked once per second.

Every 5 seconds for me. It's the W32.Blaster.Worm. Ports 137-139 and
port 445 also (but mot as frequently)

I'm on Pipex, and my connection became 'lumpy' at around 15:00hrs
yesterday (7/9),
and finally ground to a halt at 16:00hrs. Seemed to be back up at 17:00hrs.

Sounds like your PC *might* be infected.

More information he
http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/ven...ster.worm.html
and here
http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/~rakerman/...ort-table.html

DSL carrier light on my router (SAR-715) was on through out, but the
usual 10 second
flash on the DSL link LED was not happening 16:00-17:00hrs, despite
re-boots etc

Use the utility available from the link at the (first) above address to
clean your system, and most importantly....

Get yourself a GOOD AV and firewall !!!!

--
Tony Morgan
Smile in the face of adversity - and adversity will probably
Old September 8th 03, 05:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,pipex.xtreme.support
Mark Carver

Tony Morgan wrote:

I'm on Pipex, and my connection became 'lumpy' at around 15:00hrs
yesterday (7/9),
and finally ground to a halt at 16:00hrs. Seemed to be back up at
17:00hrs.

Sounds like your PC *might* be infected.

More information he
http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/ven...ster.worm.html
and here
http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/~rakerman/...ort-table.html

Use the utility available from the link at the (first) above address
to clean your system, and most importantly....

Get yourself a GOOD AV and firewall !!!!

I've got Norton AV, and run Tiny Firewall, as well as the h/w firewall in the router itself.
Down loaded and installed the Norton patch you mention, and the one for Windows 2k
on Aug 11th.

Anyway, with the PC switched off the DSL link normally flashes, yesterday it did not, so I'm confused
as to
why you think my PC is infected ?

I'll double check again tonight however.

Old September 8th 03, 05:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,pipex.xtreme.support
Tony Morgan

In message , Mark Carver
writes
I've got Norton AV, and run Tiny Firewall, as well as the h/w firewall
in the router itself. Down loaded and installed the Norton patch you
mention, and the one for Windows 2k on Aug 11th.

Anyway, with the PC switched off the DSL link normally flashes,
yesterday it did not, so I'm confused
as to
why you think my PC is infected ?

Dunno, just your general drift when you reported about your connection.
If you've got logs with your firewall/router you should be able to spot
if you were getting DOS-level attacks between 1500 and 1700. If not then
it would be likely that the virus had got in.

I'll double check again tonight however.

Please don't do it on my account :-)
Old September 9th 03, 01:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,pipex.xtreme.support
Wiraone

"Paul King" wrote in
:

"Paul King" wrote in message
.. .
Anyone (with an ADSL PIPEX connection) noticed whether they were
unable to connect from (at least) 19:00 (could have been earlier but
I wasn't at home) to 21:00 Sunday 7th Sep 2003? It all suddenly
started up again,

PIPEX
have gone home for the weekend, and as you can see from this message,
I'm back on again!!

Most probably local since I don't have any problem with my connection last
weekend.