dell laptop & bt broadband

Old September 12th 03, 10:59 AM posted to comp.laptops,uk.telecom.broadband
madchu

Default dell laptop & bt broadband

anyone had a problem getting a dell laptop to work over bt broadband?

have:
dell latitude c600 using belkin wireless pcmcia card or xircom realport
10/100+56k card
+ netgear DM602 ADSL 1 x LAN modem
+ Belkin Wireless/DSL Gateway Router
+ desktop PC using netgear 310tx PCI card
+ BT Broadband line only subscription

desktop pc -----UTP---- router
laptop -----UTP-------- or ----wireless----- router
router -----UTP---- netgear adsl modem
netgear modem------internet

both laptop and PC running Win98SE

both PCs can see each other and swap files, etc. whether thru utp or when
the laptop is using the wireless card

desktop can connect to broadband internet ok thru the modem (via router)

problem is:
laptop (running IE5 or IE6 or Netscape 7.1) produces no web pages. it cannot
share the connection
however, the laptop can ping www. addresses and can ping both desktop pc,
adsl modem and router
so it is getting some connection to the internet

have tried both belkin and netgear support and mucking around with gateways,
specifying ip addresses and DNS servers hasn't worked, so i've reset
everything to default settings for now

have also in desperation tried to install the laptop directly to broadband
thru just connecting it to the netgear adsl modem and using the CD BT
supplied. but no joy. it didn't want to surf.

as a control, i've got it dialling fine and surfing fine when using the 56k
modem of the realport into my company's dial up connection

question:
how do i get the dell laptop to surf at the same time as the desktop? is it
a bug on dell laptops that they don't work with dsl?

Matt.

Old September 12th 03, 02:33 PM posted to comp.laptops,uk.telecom.broadband
madchu

"Pete Smith" wrote in message
In article ,
says...
have also in desperation tried to install the laptop directly to

broadband
thru just connecting it to the netgear adsl modem and using the CD BT
supplied. but no joy. it didn't want to surf.

This (to me) implies that there's a "problem" with your laptop.

At the risk of stating the obvious, what caches are the laptop using?

If you can ping a web address, and resolve the address from a name, that
means that things are mostly working.

Can you pick up email from your laptop? If so, there's nothing seriously
wrong, so I'd put it down to a configuration problem on the laptop.

HTH

Pete.

er, no in a word.

Desktop PC had been picking up email using a normal dial up setting and
picking up emails from several addresses quite happily before I switched the
PC over to broadband. When broadband was up and running, I didn't have to do
anything with Outlook, it just found the non-BT ISPs and pulled the mail off
as usual (only much quicker of course).

The laptop, however, was set up to pull off my work email so had a corporate
email setup rather.

With the desktop running broadband and the laptop with the xircom card in it
(with utp cable plugged in), loading outlook brings up the inbox without it
popping up the retry/work offline/help box. then cliking on send/receive
brings up the 'connecting to MS Exchange Server' box, the WLAN, LAN and WAN
lights flicker but the box just disappears with no mail going or coming
back - any test msg just sits in my outbox. presumably outlook can't see the
exchange server its looking for as it'll be on a VPN and just gives up.

however, taking out the utp cable which was connected to the router remember
and the work offline/retry box does come up. presumably having the utp cable
plugged into the router or having the wireless card installed when running
outlook is enough for the pc to say 'yep i'm on a network'?

however, copying the pst file from the desktop pc to the laptop and change
the service profile on the laptop from corporate to internet mail makes no
difference either; sending and receiving just comes with error msgs saying
it cannot find the mail servers.

Matt.

Old September 12th 03, 05:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Cooper

Hi,
sounds like your laptop has been setup to use your company proxy servers
or something similar. From IE, tools-internet options, on the connections
tab, ensure that the option 'never dial a connection' is checked. Then
press the 'LAN Settings ...' button, and in the resulting dialog box, ensure
that all options are blank ie. not checked. Now OK out of the dialog boxes
and restart IE. If this is the problem, you will now be able to browse the
web.

--

Martin
Old September 18th 03, 06:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
madchu

"madchu" wrote in message
"Martin Cooper" wrote in message
. ..
Hi,
sounds like your laptop has been setup to use your company proxy

servers
or something similar. From IE, tools-internet options, on the

connections
tab, ensure that the option 'never dial a connection' is checked. Then
press the 'LAN Settings ...' button, and in the resulting dialog box,

ensure
that all options are blank ie. not checked. Now OK out of the dialog

boxes
and restart IE. If this is the problem, you will now be able to browse

the
web.

--

Martin

thx. but already checked all that and everything's clear in those

settings.
weird thing is it can see the router in IE6 by typing in its IP address

and
thereby bringing up the router setting screen; same goes for the adsl

modem.
and it can ping thru the router and the modem and back again to
www.bbc.co.uk or wherever but not browse thru IE6 or Netscape 7.1 to the
same site or any other site for that matter.

i've looked at all possible settings within Win98SE for this and there
aren't many. i'm gonna try another PC and see if that has the same

problem.

@

got 2nd pc down from my loft. an old p200 32mb with a netgear 10/100... and
it worked first time... fine. summat up with the dell...