A Broadband and ADSL forum. BroadbanterBanter

Welcome to BroadbanterBanter.

You are currently viewing as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today.

Go Back   Home » BroadbanterBanter forum » Newsgroup Discussions » uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband)
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) (uk.telecom.broadband) Discussion of broadband services, technology and equipment as provided in the UK. Discussions of specific services based on ADSL, cable modems or other broadband technology are also on-topic. Advertising is not allowed.

Linux and ADSL



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old September 18th 03, 01:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Glenn Robinson
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3
Default Linux and ADSL

Hello,

I've just had broadband fitted an BT have supplied me with a Westell 36R305
usb adsl modem. I can use the modem fine on a WinME pc but I'm having
trouble getting my RH8.0 pc to recognise the modem. When I plug it is the
system detects the device but I think I'm missing a driver for it.

Can anyone help with where I might get a driver for this modem?

Thanks

Glenn


  #2  
Old September 18th 03, 03:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter James
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 5
Default Linux and ADSL

On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 13:41:37 +0100, "Glenn Robinson"
wrote:

Hello,

I've just had broadband fitted an BT have supplied me with a Westell 36R305
usb adsl modem. I can use the modem fine on a WinME pc but I'm having
trouble getting my RH8.0 pc to recognise the modem. When I plug it is the
system detects the device but I think I'm missing a driver for it.

Can anyone help with where I might get a driver for this modem?

That's strange, because Suse 8.1 on my second HD recognised my
Speedtouch 510 router and installed completely and utterly painlessly.
No drivers needed or asked for. Different system, but isn't Suse RH
originated?

-
Peter James
Change AT to @ to reply
  #3  
Old September 18th 03, 05:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jason Clifford
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 100
Default Linux and ADSL

On Thu, 18 Sep 2003, Peter James wrote:

I've just had broadband fitted an BT have supplied me with a Westell 36R305
usb adsl modem. I can use the modem fine on a WinME pc but I'm having
trouble getting my RH8.0 pc to recognise the modem. When I plug it is the
system detects the device but I think I'm missing a driver for it.

Can anyone help with where I might get a driver for this modem?


That's strange, because Suse 8.1 on my second HD recognised my
Speedtouch 510 router and installed completely and utterly painlessly.
No drivers needed or asked for. Different system, but isn't Suse RH
originated?


The Speedtouch 510 is not a Westell 36R305 is it?

I suspect that the Westell 36R305 device is not supported.

Jason Clifford
--
UKPOST.COM get your @ukpost.com address now...
http://www.ukpost.com/ professional hosting/ADSL Broadband

  #4  
Old September 18th 03, 05:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,590
Default Linux and ADSL


"Peter James" wrote in message
...
I've just had broadband fitted an BT have supplied me with a Westell

36R305
usb adsl modem. I can use the modem fine on a WinME pc but I'm having
trouble getting my RH8.0 pc to recognise the modem. When I plug it is the
system detects the device but I think I'm missing a driver for it.

Can anyone help with where I might get a driver for this modem?

That's strange, because Suse 8.1 on my second HD recognised my
Speedtouch 510 router and installed completely and utterly painlessly.
No drivers needed or asked for. Different system, but isn't Suse RH
originated?


The 510 is an ethernet router not a USB one - and therefore does not need
specialised drivers.

The USB modem with the best Linux support is the Alcatel Speedtouch/330.

Just done a quick google and if you can't find Linux drivers for the Westell
36R305 now, I'm sure you will soon as it appears Smoothwall now supports
it..

Regards
Sunil


  #5  
Old September 18th 03, 05:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Cooper
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 119
Default Linux and ADSL

"Glenn Robinson" wrote:

Westell 36R305


Hi,
according to
http://www.infotech.tu-chemnitz.de/c..._2_id2_57.html,
no linux support is available. Your best bet with linux is to buy a router,
network card and cables. You will save yourself a lot of hassle and also
gain support for multiple PC's in the process.

--

Martin
  #6  
Old September 18th 03, 07:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3
Default Linux and ADSL


"Sunil Sood" wrote in message
...


The 510 is an ethernet router not a USB one - and therefore does not need
specialised drivers.

The USB modem with the best Linux support is the Alcatel Speedtouch/330.

Just done a quick google and if you can't find Linux drivers for the

Westell
36R305 now, I'm sure you will soon as it appears Smoothwall now supports
it..

Regards
Sunil


It may be worth checking out
http://http://eciadsl.flashtux.org/index.php?lang=en
This driver works for the Westell/Fujistu FDX310, if the 36R305 is based on
the same chipset, Globespan, then it may work. Its certainly worth
trying.

Andrew


  #7  
Old September 18th 03, 10:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Stirling
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 807
Default Linux and ADSL

Martin Cooper wrote:
"Glenn Robinson" wrote:

Westell 36R305


Hi,
according to
http://www.infotech.tu-chemnitz.de/c..._2_id2_57.html,
no linux support is available. Your best bet with linux is to buy a router,
network card and cables. You will save yourself a lot of hassle and also
gain support for multiple PC's in the process.


What I'd really quite like is for some of the linux-based routers
(Linksys WRT54G as an example, for some hackery look at
http://seattlewireless.net/index.cgi/LinksysWrt54g) to come with full source,
rather than the partial source they do.

Being able to run some stuff on the router, even if it's only got a couple
of free meg of flash and 6 of RAM would be really handy.

--
http://inquisitor.i.am/ | | Ian Stirling.
---------------------------+-------------------------+--------------------------
Paranoia: A game for the whole family, and anyone else who might be watching.
  #8  
Old September 19th 03, 06:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
teeno
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 5
Default Linux and ADSL

On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 19:00:13 +0100, Andrew wrote:


"Sunil Sood" wrote in message
...


The 510 is an ethernet router not a USB one - and therefore does not need
specialised drivers.

The USB modem with the best Linux support is the Alcatel Speedtouch/330.

Just done a quick google and if you can't find Linux drivers for the

Westell
36R305 now, I'm sure you will soon as it appears Smoothwall now supports
it..

Regards
Sunil


It may be worth checking out
http://http://eciadsl.flashtux.org/index.php?lang=en
This driver works for the Westell/Fujistu FDX310, if the 36R305 is based on
the same chipset, Globespan, then it may work. Its certainly worth
trying.

Andrew

i use the eci drivers on my fujitsu fdx310 which so i am told is basicly
the westell modem just rebadged and the drivers work very welll now.
 




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Linux and Intel anypoint 3240 modem HamMan uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 0 August 2nd 03 01:44 PM
Linux and Intel anypoint 3240 modem Josey uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 0 August 2nd 03 11:05 AM
Bonded uplink on ADSL via Linux Andrew Lyon uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 0 July 14th 03 02:58 PM
Bonded uplink on ADSL via Linux Alex uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 1 July 5th 03 01:18 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:40 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 2.4.0
Copyright 2004-2021 BroadbanterBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.