IP Question......

Old September 21st 03, 05:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dazzlin

Default IP Question......

Just about to sign up for a service and have looked through
http://www.adslguide.org/ to help with deciding on a supplier......

I have one final question (and forgive me if this seems stupid), but what is
the difference between STATIC & DYNAMIC IP. I realise that one is fixed and
the other is randomly allocated from a specific range on connection, but
will it mean any service differences to a Joe Soap home user.

Cheers in advance for the help.
Dazzlin

Old September 21st 03, 06:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Hiram Hackenbacker

On Sun, 21 Sep 2003 17:58:03 +0100, "Dazzlin"
wrote:

Just about to sign up for a service and have looked through
http://www.adslguide.org/ to help with deciding on a supplier......

I have one final question (and forgive me if this seems stupid), but what is
the difference between STATIC & DYNAMIC IP. I realise that one is fixed and
the other is randomly allocated from a specific range on connection, but
will it mean any service differences to a Joe Soap home user.

You will get the same service. If you want to run services on your PC
that prefer a fixed IP (such as an e-mail server or website) then opt
for one of the ISP's that offer static IP for free.

--
Hiram Hackenbacker
Old September 21st 03, 09:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Cooper

Mugwump wrote:

Servers don't need fixed IPs these days with the plethora of dynamic DNS
services. VPN might but I've never used it

While that's true, if you want to run your own mail server, a fixed IP is
safest. Currently, many ISPs and companies are blacklisting mailservers on
dynamic IPs as an anti-spam measure. Others are implementing greylisting
that will delay your mail to that domain every time your IP changes.

--

Martin
Old September 21st 03, 09:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dazzlin

I went with a Static IP provider in the end...

Thanks for the help guys

"Martin Cooper" wrote in message
. ..

Old September 22nd 03, 08:30 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Pete Smith

In article , says...
wrote:

Just about to sign up for a service and have looked through
http://www.adslguide.org/ to help with deciding on a supplier......

I have one final question (and forgive me if this seems stupid), but what is
the difference between STATIC & DYNAMIC IP. I realise that one is fixed and
the other is randomly allocated from a specific range on connection, but
will it mean any service differences to a Joe Soap home user.

You will get the same service. If you want to run services on your PC
that prefer a fixed IP (such as an e-mail server or website) then opt
for one of the ISP's that offer static IP for free.

However, check the ISP's terms and conditions about running servers.

Plusnet don't allow you to run open servers on their system. From the T&C,

"The use of the service to run open servers, such as SMTP relay, Web
proxy and NNTP is prohibited. PlusNet define an open server being one
which can be connected to over the Internet by hosts not in a trusted
list."

This implies that there has to be some way of "authenticating" hosts (I.e.
addresses) based on their address.

Pete.

--
NOTE! Email address is spamtrapped. Any email will be bounced to you
Remove the news and underscore from my address to reply by mail
Old September 22nd 03, 11:32 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Hearn

In article , says...
wrote:

[...]

Note that the services they specifically stated were all ones which could be
used to annoy people on the internet whilst hiding your tracks - eg. SMTP
relay (spamming), NNTP (spamming), Web proxy (hiding who's accessing dodgy
websites with stolen CC numbers). This is probably what they mean about
non-trusted lists. I would be suprised if someone who put up a website
would be required to authenticate users.

Basically, I think they're trying to stamp out methods that people use to
hide their tracks and reflect bad on PlusNet.

Old September 22nd 03, 12:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Pete Smith

In article ,
says...

"Pete Smith" wrote in message
In article ,
says...
wrote:

[...]

See what you mean.

I may actually try and get some verification on this, because I'd like to
host files (not necessarily a whole website) on my PC, running Apache,
"redirected" from my webspace (I've got digital photos I want to share
with friends, but there are too many to upload.

Pete.

Old September 22nd 03, 01:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Hamish Marson

Mugwump wrote:
In article , Hiram Hackenbacker
said......

wrote:

Just about to sign up for a service and have looked through
http://www.adslguide.org/ to help with deciding on a supplier......

I have one final question (and forgive me if this seems stupid), but what is
the difference between STATIC & DYNAMIC IP. I realise that one is fixed and
the other is randomly allocated from a specific range on connection, but
will it mean any service differences to a Joe Soap home user.

You will get the same service. If you want to run services on your PC
that prefer a fixed IP (such as an e-mail server or website) then opt
for one of the ISP's that offer static IP for free.

Servers don't need fixed IPs these days with the plethora of dynamic DNS
services. VPN might but I've never used it

Don't need is a relative term...

They don't need it to APPEAR to work.

They DO need it though to work correctly. Unless you like someone else getting your email/web traffic because you're down & haven't been able to update dyndns.org yet...

I don't suffer from Insanity... | Linux User #16396
I enjoy every minute of it... |

http://www.travellingkiwi.com/ |

Old September 22nd 03, 01:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Stirling

Pete Smith wrote:
In article ,
says...

snip "of servers on plusnet"
See what you mean.

I may actually try and get some verification on this, because I'd like to
host files (not necessarily a whole website) on my PC, running Apache,
"redirected" from my webspace (I've got digital photos I want to share
with friends, but there are too many to upload.

Could you let us know if/when you get clarification, as I'm interested
too.
(In my case, a webcam for a live feed)

--
http://inquisitor.i.am/ | | Ian Stirling.
If it can't be expressed in figures, it is not science, it is opinion.
Old September 23rd 03, 10:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dazzlin

Well scrub that.......

My line is part fibre optic and therefore cannot support ADSL......?! What
was that availability percentage.....!? yeah right...????

Catch up with you all in about a year.....??

Dazzlin

"Mugwump" wrote in message
In article , Pete Smith
said......

In article ,

says...

"Pete Smith" wrote in message
In article ,

says...
wrote:

[...]

Quite simply if you run a mail server that requires things like pop
before SMTP, SMTP auth and such like and follow the normal procedures
for preventing open relay then it's not a problem.
Same for NNTP servers. Make sure people have to log in with a user name
and password.

The operative word is OPEN. Provided you take precautions similar to
above (and test them out, especially on the mail server side. Try
http://www.ordb.org/submit/)then it doesn't breach the Ts & Cs
--
Reply-to address is ignored.
Reply to 'mugwump{underscore}is{at}yahoo{dot}co{dot}uk

Mugwump